< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

world state

by Richard N Hutchinson

29 June 2000 21:12 UTC

I just picked up a copy of Kees van der Pijl's "Transnational Classes and
International Relations."

I haven't read it yet, but it reminded me to check in on the Trilateral
Commission.  If you visit their site, www.trilateral.org, you will find
(part of) the proceedings of their annual meeting, which was held in Tokyo
this year just prior to the World Bank demonstration in Washington.

Most interesting, to me, is the speech by C. Fred Bergsten (a U.S.
economist prominent in the TC over the years) called "The Backlash Against
Globalization."  This isn't a policy statement, mind you, but it is nicely
illustrative of the sorts of responses seen as necessary to head off the
dangerous movement from below, and of the class conscious capitalist
forces actively working toward the capacity of a world state.

RH