< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Cinton Fungus

by Emilio José Chaves

29 June 2000 05:04 UTC

Hello, PSN and WSN friends,
Clinton fungus is the name given by a peasant young girl to the Fusarium
oxysporum f.sp. erythroxyli. (also called EN-4, isolated by a Dr. David
Sands). The girl was a four-minutes grass-root speaker at a televised
meeting, part of our peace process dialogues. Tomorrow they will have an
international meeting with 21 representatives of  european nations, Canada,
Japan, and others, to deal with the coca problem in the world and in our
nation. Guess what nation did not accept the invitation? Yes, USoNA, the
motherland of those congress-gentlemen and gentle-ladies that approved 1
trillion dollars to buy US helicopters and fungus to spray us with bullets
and bio-droplets, starting at a region just 100 miles from here, and close
to the border with Ecuador.
Meanwhile, in Spain there is a meeting to find answers to this particular
question: If colombians write so nice, why do they kill theirselves in such
an ugly fashion? (Let me clarify that my writting style was spoiled long
ago, and for good, during my engineering training at the university years).
Well, I suspect that part of the answers to this and to coca related ones
may be found beyond our frontiers, perhaps in the north.
But better than my words, there is here an article by a good colombian
sociologist and writer, of course in exile as so many of our best
intelectuals, due to threats of paramilitaries (the civil-dressed army
division of the state army according to HHRR-ONGs, tied to some big land
owners, big drug bosses, and in some cases commanded by ex-officers well
trained at the SoA).
For those interested in biological-determinism there is also the following
article The Much Ignored Biowarfare Component at
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-34817/eng_may2/0531_bigwood.htm
Time to say good bye, and to wish that Cinton Fungus will not spoil my
remaining skills even more. Cheers, Emilio
********************
Apocalypse Now
By Alfredo Molano B.
The Anti-Narcotics Brigade, in a victory march, will open door after door
in
Putumayo and Caqueta so that Carlos Castano's troops can, in Mrs.
Albright's
words "extend democracy to the south". EL ESPECTADOR Sunday, 25 June 2000
Ever since I read news of the approval of the two trillion Colombian pesos
to strengthen the "oldest democracy in South America" black butterflies in
my stomach have not stopped fluttering.
How many Colombians, who today are alive, have dreams, and sweat doing odd
jobs, will die with the decision of the United States Congress? Do the
settlers of Caño Mosco, pushed into growing coca by the landowners of
Villanueva who robbed them of their lands, know what awaits them? What are
the dentist, the carter, the motorboatman, the mayor’s office employee of
Pinuña Negra, innocent of the fact that the bombs that will kill them are
already made and that the helicopters that will fire them are ready to take
off, doing?
Tomorrow, while Senator Lott’s boys continue getting high on the heroin
produced by the Mujadeen that defeated the Russian Communists in Afganistan
a few years ago, or on the cocaine that their new allies in southern
Bolivar
department produce, in the mountains of Almaguer, Cauca, the peasants will
be left with the sockets of their own eyes to hide in because everything
else will be scorched earth. The Anti-Narcotics Brigade, in a victory
march,
will open door after door in Putumayo and Caquetá so that Carlos Castaño’s
troops can, in Mrs. Albright’s words "extend democracy to the south".
Each day, reports of human rights violations will attribute less and less
responsibility to the Armed Forces for obvious, evident, and tacit reasons.
And Senator Helms will pass them over to Senator Leahy, who will not be
able
to say anything. Perhaps General Wilhelm will land at the Tres Esquinas
base
to distribute cans of American powdered milk, American corn, and American
deviled meat, and a photo of the American First lady to 20 displaced
families prepared especially for the occasion while General McCaffrey
copiously gives out an English primer with the basic principals of the
International Human Rights, put into practice by him in the Persian Gulf
War.
The Minister of Defense, without a tie, as is customary these days, will
frenetically applaud the exemplary act of generosity and sovereignty.
I do not want to think of what awaits the small black children who try to
fly kites made from potato chip packages on the banks of the Atrato River,
the day that the paramilitaries are given the green light to finish off
even
the seeds as the chulavitas (the Conservative paramilitaries during the
Violence period) did in Rovira, Tolima in the 1950’s. Nor, of what will
happen to the U’wa Indian people when the national army, with painted
faces,
laser sensors, and grenade launchers, carry out an aerial operation on
their
sacred lands to show off the Black Hawk helicopters, whose makers managed
prevail in the Senate after extensive lobbying.
I wouldn’t want to imagine - today is the day of Saint John, who wrote -
"and there were lightening bolts and thunder and a great tremor on the
earth" - what 40,000 guerrillas armed to the teeth will do, once they step
away from the negotiating table and go out to wage war without quarter and
with no return. I am not going to read - in a way I have already read them
-
the headlines of the media exalting the bravery and abnegation of the U.S.
advisors that sacrifice their golf games on the greens of the School of the
Americas to come and "give us a hand" as Luis Alberto Moreno would say. I
would prefer to read within a few years, God-willing, the reports of the
diverted funds, crooked dealings, payoffs, bribes, and the trafficking of
cocaine and heroin on the part of the new allies in defense of the oldest
democracy in Latin America, in order to write, if I am still able: "Live -
and Learn".

Weekly News Update on the Americas * Nicaragua Solidarity Network of NY 339
Lafayette St, New York, NY 10012 * 212-674-9499 fax: 212-674-9139
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbwilson/wnuhome.html * wnu@igc.apc.org
* CLM-NEWS is brought to you by the COLOMBIAN LABOR MONITOR at * *
http://www.prairienet.org/clm * * and the CHICAGO COLOMBIA COMMITTEE * *
Email us at clm@prairienet.org or * * Dennis Grammenos at
listproc@prairienet.org * * subscribe clm-news Your Name *