< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Anti-immigration assumptions

by Andrew Wayne Austin

17 June 2000 22:16 UTC

Eric,

I think you misunderstood me. I said that protecting the environment -
really protecting the environment - is protecting ourselves. I cannot
think of a better motive to protect the environment! You have posed the
problem as: "if one is anthropocentric then one cannot be ecocentric." The
premise is that anthropocentrism is environmentally irresponsible. But if
anthropocentrism destroyed the environment then it wouldn't be very
anthropocentric now would it? A *genuine* concern for humans - humans as a
species - must lead to a concern for the environment (which includes other
species). The people who are burning the earth up are not
"anthropocentric." They are individualistic.

As for the references to meat eating, while I do not believe in a
biological basis to social behavior, I do believe in a biological basis,
and Homo sapiens are evolved to eat other animals. This doesn't mean that
vegetarians are "unnatural," of course.

Andrew Austin
Knoxville, TN