< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: population and environment

by Richard N Hutchinson

16 June 2000 23:29 UTC

> You probably know the numbers better than me. All I know is that Mexicans
> constitute less than one-third of illegal immigrants in the United States.
>
> Andrew Austin
> Knoxville, TN

That could be, but I'll tell you how it probably works (I'm not sure).

Many European immigrants come to the U.S. legally, and then stay,
illegally.  For instance, Chicago, where I worked for 10 years, is, or
was, the second biggest Polish city in the world, after Kracow.  Many
young Polish immigrants come to visit relatives or friends, and then
stay.  (This info is out of date, but was true as of the early 90s.  At
that time virtually the entire janitorial staff cleaning Chicago's
business district -- The Loop -- at night was Polish.)  In New York it's
the same with young Irish immigrants.

So if you take immigrants overstaying their legal entry, that category
might be twice as big as illegal Mexican immigrants.

Of course in Southern California, by far the largest immigrant group is
Mexican.  Los Angeles is the second biggest Mexican city after Mexico
City.

RH