< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Racist mythology about job losses

by Georges Drouet

09 June 2000 16:22 UTC

Rich countries = high wages, poor countries = low wages, high wages =
higher education, low wages = lower education. The international division
of work is usualy very efficient, if a company like Cisco requires very
skilled people, they must go to rich countries where the welfare state
provides high education as a basic matter, thus Cisco can use all this
previous effort for a relatively good price: exactly the taxes. When Cisco
require steel workers and manufacturers, they go to Indonesia or to Chinese
central region. Cisco is part of the new technology, the new economy,
competing in the Nasquad... They need computer skilled workers, they will
find them in a country where kids use to play with computers since 10 years
old, with full social advantage and they'll probably have pretty good
benefits at the end of each year.

But what Cisco is useful for? Cisco is a hardware builder principally and a
sofware conceptor somewhere, specialized in Internet matters. All their
production is going to be used in our first world, making things moving
faster than ever, communications, information, data compilation, world
production control systems... Tools to be used as the most sophisticated
working control: from the place where the mineral is extracted somewhere in
South Africa thanks to African slaves (excuse-me, workers paid 45 cents an
hour), its transportation into an Indonesian freighter with Ethiopian
slaves (sorry, sailors paid 30 cents an hour), its preparation in a
Brazilian blast furnace with local slaves (excuse-me, employees with a 75
cents an hour wage), then transported to the Mexican border to be assembled
as computers' bodies by south american slaves (sorry, subcontracters paid
90 cents an hour), then, crossing the frontier, the computer adquires its
real price: a market price to be sold to a first world technician in charge
of controling all the precedent steps... or by someone spending time
thinking about worlwide solution hanged in its terminal desktop... as you
and me!

Whatever the benefit is the required success for a company manager, pretty
few shareholder are conscious on how dangerous is their constant race to
the best ratio investisment-dividend because they give the responsability
of the bad job to be done to other hands, the manager's hands. Even if some
companies have decided to stop using sweatshops, most of the hard job still
being done in poor countries. And the things seems to go worse than ever,
just check the reforms imposed by IMF and Worldbank, the first matter they
reduce is the governmental expenditure in education, health and related
matters, investing, at contrario into huge ports, energy factories and so
on, to prepare the field to transnational corporate manufacturers.

In another hand, if FDI is lowering during these last years it's because,
thanks to the devaluation crisis of 1997-99 in Asia, Russia and Brazil, the
costs are lower than ever and had boosted the production, thus, thanks to
the benefits made inside the rich economic system, the consumption is
growing in the rich area. To that point see how Greespan is puting presure
in the interest's rates to slow down private consumption and how deep in
the US trade balance. When 5 years ago you had to spent 50 cents for one
hour of a Brazilian worker, the same hour is now cheaper than ever for it
the devaluation of the Real... This transmission of the 90's economic
crisis from the core of the Triad to the periphery have produced its
benefits: Europe and the USA are growing again and the developed countries'
mass-media are exclusively showing how the unemployment is going down and
the level of life is increasing. But they are speaking of only 10% of the
world population, the other 90% are suffering of this new colonialism, an
economical colonialism.

A+

Georges Drouet
28, place Morichar  1060 Bruxelles