< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Going Offshore

by Georges Drouet

09 June 2000 09:25 UTC

If job flight was a legend, why most of the american facturers goes just
beyond the Mexican frontier, why Nike use Asian childrens to make their
shoes or Japanese companies hire Chinese prisoners. We are facing a down
bottom race in between all the major companies, and lately the medium ones,
in wich the only important matter is how the shareholders keep confident in
the net result at the end of the fiscal year... For these managers, there
is no trouble in looking for the cheapest place in the world, they take
care of advantages as low regulations in social aspects, environmental
concerns and of course in salaries. If some called emergent countries are
growing too fast and then appears the first symptoms of anti-corporate
dominance as workers' unions, social laws proposals, they great
decision-makers ask their tools (IMF, WB, and so on) to dismantle the
fragile macro-economics equilibriums these countries are obliged -by force
from the neo-liberal strategy- to accept in exchange to international
loans...

Whilst the money plunge, the companies' hunter track "good businesses" to
buy at a lower price than ever. Devaluation is just one tool in between
many other ones that powerfuls use to "reshape" the market... Well, in fact
the name this people use to talk about the world is "supermarket" in wich
people are just something to hire, use and lay down...

All the system is based in competition, a good company is the one with the
best result for his share-holders. No matter the way the directors use to
meet that goal, kids working, dangerous machinery, nonexistent welfare
laws, etc., you know what I'm talking about...

If you don't take a plane and spend a week in the Mexican border, near by
Tijuana or Austin, but in the Mexican side. It's a very healthy experience
to see how this poor people are obliged to work for less than 10% of US
salaries, from early in the morning till late in the night, since 10 years
old, without any social protection.... Only because they are living on the
other side of the border... But don't worry, Mexican government is very
obedient to the US one since 1995 when IMF gave a huge loan in exchange to
the 100% control of the Mexican oil business...

Anyway, the steel wall built in the border is just a sign of how decided
are rich countries to keep low salaries workers at the right place: the
lowest one!

Have a nice flight, not a job flight.

Do you have a solution to stop this competition race?

>Eugene L. Mendonsa wrote:
>
>> Participants told me that their company is jobbing out more
>> and more of its manufacturing.  Much of this is going offshore to avoid
>> the high wages paid to American workers.
>

>If manufacturing industry moved to low-wage areas, all of it would be in
>Ethiopia by now. Job flight is an urban legend.

Visit our site: http://www.simpol.orgISPO

United Kingdom
John Bunzl
P.O. Box 26547, London SE3 7YT