< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: population and stratification

by Paul Gomberg

05 June 2000 18:02 UTC

Richard,

There is another work that is of a piece with your argument and that is
Michael Taylor's Community, Anarchy, and Liberty (I think Cambridge
sometimein the 1980s). He is a political scientist whose general
orientation is toward rational choice theory; he uses empirical
literature on egalitarian communities to argue for the anarchist thesis
that decentralized, non-state control is possible only in small
face-to-face settings, that size alone accounts for the necessity for a
state. He too relies on Ronald Cohen's idea that fissioning of social
groups is a central way that small societies deal with conflict and when
population size becomes sufficiently large and/or the group is
circumscribed in a way that makes fissioning impossible, the development
of a state becomes inevitable as a mechanism for resolving conflict.

I believe that this essentially anarchist argument is profoundly wrong
and is not supported by the data. What it fails to take account of are
social mechanisms for conflict resolution in larger groups that involve
legal centralization and decentalized enforcement. Typically Big Man
systems and what some call egalitarlian chiefdoms but are better called
village headmen societies (to
distinguish them from complex chiefdoms, which
are semi-states) and societies led by a council of elders resolve conflicts
that arise in larger groups through a
known and recognized central authority.  But there is no concentration
of organized force under central control and hence the enforcement is
by popular concensus on the authority figure(s).

The key difference is not population size but the rise of exploitation,
which begins to emerge in chiefdoms. This creates alienation. The
dispossessed will not enforce the norms of the central authority. So
even in chiefdoms social order depends on armed thugs (followers) of the
chief; they can ensure order. But chiefdoms, because their military
power is not fully organized and consolidated, are extremely violent,
harboring lots of civil strife, battles between competing chiefs,
rebellions by usurpers, etc. The constant strife puts limits on the
power of a chief to exploit the peasantry (extract more and more
tribute) as a competing chief is waiting in the wings to organize the
commoners for an overthrow, promising "I will go easier on you; he
oppresses too much." So, these wars are like elections, except with
weapons. Power changes hands but the system of semi-exploitaiton
continues but is limited.

The consolidiation of state power in a professional military and police
can cross those limits, greatly intensify exploitation, and lead to a
population growth and greater cultural complexity because that
centralized force can subdue and control large alienated subgroups.

So here is an alternative to the anarchist, population size centered
theory of the state that derives from Taylor, Cohen, and Carneiro, and
one better supported by the evidence. It is this exploitation-centered
theory that
grounds communist optimism that large scale societies can eliminate
inequality and resolve conflict without centralized coercion and
exploitation is replaced by communist cooperation.

The exploitation-centered theory is to be preferred because it better
accords with anthropological data.

Paul