< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Troubles of the World

by wwagar

02 June 2000 23:52 UTC

Dear List,

        Sorry, but we need to re-focus.  We all know that the great issue
facing humankind in the 21st Century is not the rights of frozen embryos
or the genocide in Iraq or the crap dispensed by Madeline Albright or NATO
bullshit about Kosovo or whatever.  The problem is that most of the
wealth and power in the modern world-system is wielded by the 20% of the
world's people who live in the "advanced" countries, and that most of
their wealth and power is in turn concentrated in the top 5% of the people
in the top 20%.

        The only sane response to this conundrum, I maintain, is global
revolutionary politics.  I'm not particularly fastidious about whether the
model is Leninist, Trotskyist, or (Michael) Harrisonian.  When in reason's
name are we going to mount a concerted, effective, worldwide response?

        So forget, if you can, about the details.  The details are
obvious.  What's lacking is the grand strategy.

        In comradeship,

        Warren