< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

What next? "I am not now and never have been a Leninist?"

by Spectors

01 June 2000 05:26 UTC

What is a "Leninist" and what kind of language do "they" use?

Lenin had some particularly useful insights on the nature of imperialism,
which still look good today compared to the liberal capitalist
"modernization" theory or its most recent incarnation: "globalization."  And
even many anti-imperialists would do well to use the "language" of
imperialism/anti-imperialism rather than the bland, "no-fault" language of
"globalization."

As to the debate over birth control, etc., there are biological/physical
limits of course, and Marxism, even "Leninism" is bound by those limits. If
a big enough comet smashes into the Earth, no amount of dialectical
materialist analysis could save the planet.

But we live in a class stratified world with a ruling capitalist class that
seems to have a limitless capacity for destruction and death. I would not
trust them in any way to implement any kind of "birth control" plan. Maybe
New York or Cairo or Athens has too high a population density, but that's
for anti-capitalists to determine. Any other alternative simply gives more
authority and therefore more power to the ruling class.

If this "Leninist" rhetoric bothers anyone, they should try to get past the
rhetoric and consider the ideas. And also keep in mind that "moderate"
rhetoric also reflects ideology, usually a conservative one.

Alan Spector