< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

The Grand Design of Israeli & US Hegemony in Lebanon & M.E.

by KSamman

28 May 2000 03:03 UTC

Greetings to all,

What is going on in the Middle East?  First some general comments about US
and Israeli objectives in the region will be discussed followed by specific
comments about the events that have transpired in Lebanon over the past
week.

The amount of resources the US and Israel have put into Lebanon are
staggering, and has much to do with the larger objective of US imperialist
ambitions in the region.  Israel (as well as Turkey which has been more and
more working directly with Israel), now by far the most powerful state in
the
region, has positioned itself to restructure the Middle East to set the
stage
for its eventual domination over the Arabic world.  This is indeed what the
peace process is all about (or lack of it in Lebanon).  Jordan, Egypt, the
Kuwaitis, and Saudis are all making separate unilateral agreements with
Israel.  As a result, Israel will have much more open access to the
resources
and the people in the region.

And behind this scene is the US, which has benefited greatly from these
arrangements.  Its continued support for Israel is not simply the result of
the powerful Jewish lobby in the US (AIPAC regularly sends representatives
the National Security Council) but has much to do, as Noam Chomsky and Said
among others have consistently pointed out, with US interests in the region
and the wider world.

The Arab states, being of a corrupt nature, have also received some gains
(militarily and economically) at the expense of popular movements and
especially the Palestinians.  They have regularly suppressed Arab
democratic
movements with US and in some cases Israeli as well (Jordan & right wing
Lebanese organizations have both received aid and intelligence information
with their suppression of Palestinians).

Indeed, what we have emerging in the region is one that looks much like the
nineteenth century system, where instead of the Ottoman Empire we have a
Washington-Tel Aviv- (Istanbul?) alliance with a few corrupt Arab states
working to recreate a very suppressive regime.  If it works the winners
will
be US imperialist, Israeli Zionist, and Turkish and Arab elites.  All of
the
events since the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982, including the Persian
Gulf War, has been part of this Imperialist effort.

Who will loose if it happens?  Palestinians first and foremost who will
continue to be imprisoned in Reservations in the Israeli occupied
territories, in Lebanon, and on a smaller case, in Jordan.  Syria has had a
closed door policy towards the Palestinian and as a result is "freed" from
the issue.  The negotiations with Arafat and the "Palestinian" Authorities
will only exasperate this problem in the occupied territories.

But other losers will include the "other" folks, mainly the poor Arabs,
Kurds, and other minorities who will be tending such things as the
expanding
tourist industry, the police and military forces, the oil industry, and all
the new jobs that will come with more US and Israeli penetration of the
region like McDonalds, Popeyes, Israeli Construction Co., and so on and so
on.

This leads us to the question: Is Lebanon Liberated?

The message from some about the Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon is that
finally after 22 years Lebanon is Liberated.  My reply to them would be yes
but with a big qualification.  As someone else had said earlier "Lebanon
was
a sideshow, which is why Ehud Barak took care of it quickly as he did,
paying
the
price that he did."

Maybe I'm wrong here but the Hizbollah, which is backed by Syria and Iran,
is
not an issue for Israel as many may assume.  On the contrary, Israel sees
Hizbollah for what it really is: a negotiator on behalf of Syria.  Allowing
the Hizbollah to replace Israel's allies (the notorious SLA) therefore was
not due to Israel's chaotic withdrawal but rather to a planned and
calculated
maneuver on the part of Israel.  In fact, one can look at it as Israel's
way
of sending a signal to Syria that it's ready to hand over some of southern
Lebanon without any formal agreements being necessary!

Thus, while it is a victory for Palestinians and the other Arab Lebanese
communities living in southern Lebanon, the future has many uncertainties
that may prove that celebrations are a bit premature.  Syria will no doubt
continue Israel's policy of suppressing the Palestinian people while
providing incentives for some of its rich Arab landlords to return to some
of
the fertile farm lands in southern Lebanon.  Hence, the Palestinians and
other dispossessed Arabs living in the region will become the rich Arabs'
servile labor just like their fellow Palestinian colleagues in Israel do
for
the rich Jews.  Hence, colonization continues undisturbed.

Palestinians are thus going to continue getting screwed both in Israel and
Lebanon, as they have been also in Jordan, Egypt, and all the other Arab
states that have all acted to undermine genuine Palestinian liberation.  Of
course, I'm not saying they all have equally screwed the Palestinians.
Israelis and the good old USA holds that honor in a class by themselves,
with
all the others as pongees.

Liberation is thus far from over.  Israel, the US, Syria, ... all remain.
This is only one step with many more to climb.  But who am I to say?  It's
easy for me to make these kinds of analysis here thousands of mile away
from
the fighting in the streets.  The real players and the destiny of
liberation
belongs in the hands of those Palestinians who are daily confronting power
in
Israel and Lebanon . . .  The question of liberation cannot be answered by
me
sitting here, but only by those who fight power in sincerity to whom I hold
with the highest respect.

What I need to do here is confront the big beast (the good old USA) that
penetrates my life in every respect, and by doing so will lend a helping
hand
to the colonized not only in Lebanon and Palestine but in Europe, Africa,
Asia, South and Central America, and in my immediate environment where a
huge
class of poor and dispossessed people live - Binghamton, NY.

Khaldoun Samman