< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

definition of sociobiology

by Richard N Hutchinson

22 May 2000 19:36 UTC

[To all not interested in sociobiology, please delete.]

Andy and a few others on the list have decided to define
sociobiology/evolutionary psychology as nothing but an ideological
justification for racism, sexism, and social inequality.

This is simply nonsense.  All you have to do is investigate the field for
yourself to see that this is not so.  (I have provided cites in the past
for those so inclined.)  Aside from the quality of any particular piece of
research, or conclusions which may be asserted based on that research,
which might be more or less well supported by that research, it is
nonsensical to condemn the whole field -- it makes no more sense than for
right-wingers to condemn the whole field of sociology as nothing but a
bunch of "politically correct," ie, left-wing ravings.

Much of it is guilt by association -- since there are some notorious
racists who work in a biological-determinist and "scientistist" (not
scientific) mode, the entire research program is smeared.  The other main
reason seems to be a confusion between sweeping, premature conclusions
that get promoted by a popularized version of this field in the mass
media, and the actual scientific research program, which like any
field of science, is an ongoing process.  Of course the other obvious
rationale, which makes my sparring partners really mad, is that they have
applied ideology instead of reason in their blanket condemnation.

If you choose not to investigate for yourself, but would rather believe
the ideological pronouncements of those on the list who you tend to agree
with on other matters, be my guest, but this is known as a bias (or
prejudice or peer pressure or social conformity), not impartial reason.

If the anti-sociobiology/evolutionary psychology faction would take one
simple step, then we could all probably agree in most cases and stop this
mainly unproductive exchange:  just stop making sweeping assertions about
the entire field, and be more clear about disagreements with particular
individuals or research findings (or even a category of "racist
pseudoscientists" for that matter, as long as it's clear that that is not
synonymous with sociobiology/evolutionary psychology as a whole).

RH