< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Fw: Hegemony and Control, was "question folks"

by Dr. R.J. Barendse

09 May 2000 08:42 UTC

>>|Imagine if they would call in teir bets. The Euro has b een falling vs
>>|the dollar, b ut the Europeans still keep oodles ofeservces in $$ in the
>>|US. if they would transfer some back hok - as wea expected tehy would do
>>|whebn the Euro came in - the US $ would plummet and the US econ son
>>|after. So why dont they? Good Question.
>>
>Maybe that has something to do with where the command center of the
>defense organization is, which is providing protection services to the
>so-called "Europeans" (EU = less than 50% of the pop. of the cont).

Exactly - and THAT was what the USA wanted to prove with the bombing of
Kossovo - which, as is now emerging, was pushed through by M. Albright
against European (esp. French) opposition by imposing demands on Serbia
which Serbia could never satisfy without giving up its national
sovereignity.

The US needed a show of military force for reasons which run like this:
economically the EU may be stronger than us and we depend on you funding our
budget-deficit, hence funding our low taxes, hence funding our lower
salaries - because income-taxes are much lower than in Europe - and hence
funding our economic growth, while the EU-economy is in tatters. But you
have to do that since militarily you totally depend on us.

Well, maybe the secondary objective was to scare the Russians but that was
purely secondary. (And didn't work anyway or do you think the present wave
of great Russian nationalism - if not chauvinism in Russia has nothing to do
with the US' bombing of a brother state - hodie mihi, cras tibi as the
Romans said?)

I think US-policy makers well realized they were running the risk of
alienating the Russians BTW, which proves again  the main objective was to
scare the Europeans.

Best wishes
R.J. Barendse