< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

1970s financial crisis

by Roslyn Bologh

07 May 2000 16:40 UTC

Great question.  I like Robert Schaeffer's chapters (Understanding
Globalization) on the 1970s.  Chapter three talks about Nixon's devaluation
of the dollar in 1971 by abandoning fixed exchange rates. He mentions the
below true (market) value exchange rate set for the dollar with respect to
the yen after WWII in order to help the Japanese economy. However, he
argues that by 1971 Japan and the other first world countries had become
more competitive compared to U.S. producers, so that by 1971, there was a
trade imbalance. Also the Vietnam War spending was contributing to
inflation.  By the late 1960s due to U.S. financial aid (Marshall Plan),
spending on NATO (which sent dollars abroad), and the Vietnam War, too many
dollars were circulating in the world market -- undermining the value of
the dollar. That the world economy needed the US to pump money in (global
Keynesianism?) but in so doing this undermined the value of the US dollar
(all this according to mainstream economic thinking) was known as the
Trifflin Dilemma when it was seen to undermine the dollar as global
monetary standard.  The Trifflin book (Gold and the Dollar Crisis) came out
in 1960! I think this analysis is one place to begin. I bet Andre Gunder
Frank has written about this as well.

Could you please forward to me any other answers you receive.

Best,
Roz