< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

"No Longer Laboring In Vain - A Conference on Globalization (fwd)

by David Smith

05 May 2000 17:21 UTC

This might be of interest to those of you on the East Coast...

dave smith
uc-irvine

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 12:24:31 EDT
From: PeterNAUCC@aol.com
Subject: "No Longer Laboring In Vain - A Conference on Globalization

"No Longer Laboring In Vain:"
Well-Being in an Age of Economic Globalization
A conference sponsored by the United Church of Christ
Presenters include Dr. David Korten, founder and president of the
People-Centered Development Forum and author of the best-selling book When
Corporations Rule the World  &  Mr. Ched Meyers, educator and activist,
author of Who Will Roll the Stone Away?

Maritime Institute of Technology
Linthicum Heights, MD (just outside Baltimore)
Friday, May 19 to Sunday, May 21, 2000

The rapid pace of globalization has radically changed economic realities
for
people across the world.  It is no longer possible to live in isolation
from
global economic realities - through technology, trade policy, international
monetary institutions and multinational corporations, we are intricately
connected to each other's economic and social well-being.  For people of
faith, economic globalization raises fundamental questions about what it
means to live faithfully and act justly across these points of connection.

This conference will explore:
o the impact of economic globalization on the well-being of workers
internationally and domestically
o the role of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund in addressing
global economic realities
o the impact of globalization on diverse communities and on the environment

The goal of the conference is to help people of faith discern:
o what are some of the key theological issues and challenges emerging out
of
globalization?
o how can we be faithful partners and allies in seeking a more just
economic
order?
o how can we overcome obstacles to change in our individual and
congregational lives?

Keynote Speakers:
Dr. David Korten, founder and president of the People-Centered Development
Forum and author of the best-selling book When Corporations Rule the World
Mr. John Sweeney, president of the AFL-CIO (invited)
Mr. Ched Meyers, educator and activist, author of Who Will Roll the Stone
Away?

Workshops:
o faith-based economic justice organizing (ACORN, Washington Interfaith
Network)
o linking labor and churches (National Interfaith Committee for Worker
Justice)
o ending sweatshop exploitation (Students United Against Sweatshops and
People of Faith Network)
o women and the economy (Institute for Women's Policy Research)
o organizing with low-income communities (Kensington Welfare Rights Union)
o moving from charity to justice

For more information contact Rev. Peter Wells, New Ark UCC, phone (302)
737-4711; PeterNAUCC@aol.com or Sandy Sorensen UCC Office for Church in
Society 110 Maryland Avenue N.E. Suite 207, Washington DC 20002; phone
(202)
543-1517; sorenses@ucc.org
 Regional Economic Justice Gathering 2000
" No Longer Laboring in Vain: Well-Being in an Age of Economic
Globalization "
May 19-21, 2000     Baltimore, Maryland   (Maritime Institute of Technology)

Name:
Mailing Address:
City:                           State:               Zip:
UCC Congregation/Conference:
Organizational Affiliation:
Telephone: (         )                Fax: (         )
E-mail:

Registration:
            I am planning to attend and have enclosed my registration check.
 (      general / $35            student; low-income / $15 )

I am planning to attend Saturday only.
 (      general / $10           student; low-income $5 )

I am unable to attend but would like to be informed about future economic
justice work and UCC Justice and Peace Ministry events.

Housing: Housing and meals for the gathering will be available through the
Maritime Institute of Technology.  The Institute is a short taxi ride
(approximately 10 minutes) from the BWI airport and rail station.  Single
rooms are available at a rate of $121 per day (which includes all meals);
double occupancy is $173 per day (meals included).  An on-site cafeteria
will
provide meals, beginning with Friday evening dinner and ending with Sunday
breakfast.   If you are planning to attend just for the day on Saturday,
you
can purchase meals a la carte at the on-site cafeteria.

Please complete:
I will be making arrangements through the Maritime Institute of Technology.

To arrange      housing contact the sales office, Maritime Institute (410)
859-5700.

rooming preference:             single                    double

roommate preference:
I will be making my own housing arrangements.

Please indicate     arrival information:
departure information:

Displays and materials
I would like to display information on
I would like to distribute material on
[note: display/distribution area will be limited]

Please make registration check payable to: UCC Office for Church in Society
Please send registration form and check to Sandy Sorensen, United Church of
Christ/OCIS 110 Maryland Avenue, NE Suite 207, Washington, DC 20002; phone
(202) 543-1517; fax (202) 543-5994; e-mail sorenses@ucc.org.  Registration
deadline is April 15, 2000.  For more information contact Rev. Peter Wells,
New Ark UCC, phone (302) 737-4711; PeterNAUCC@aol.com.