< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

brenner debate(s)

by Richard N Hutchinson

15 April 2000 22:05 UTC

I may be mistaken, but I believe there is some confusion here over which
Brenner debate is being referred to.

The original debate, in the late 70s, was over the origins of capitalism.
That is what Oreste Ventrone is referring to below.  [The article by
Arrighi, by the way, was printed in Vol. XXI, #1 of the FBC Center Review,
the first issue of 1998, for those who still use paper.]

The recent debate was provoked by Brenner's analysis (originally published
as a special issue of New Left Review in 98 or so -- I don't have it
handy), of current global economic instability.  This is what the recent
debate in Monthly Review is over, not a revival of the earlier debate with
Wallerstein.  I believe this is what AGF was referring to in his
recent post as well, which I responded to.

RH