< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Fw: Annan blames Ethiopia...

by Spectors

10 April 2000 00:17 UTC

Ethiopia is undoubtedly run by gangsters. So is Eritrea.  In fact these
gangsters were in a very, very close alliance. Both regimes have many
political prisoners. Both have resorted to assassination against critics.
Both were supported by the "West" (U.S. & allies) in their war to overthrow
the pro-Soviet regime (Mengistu's  "Dergue", also run by gangsters.)

When I was younger, I thought that the trajectory of social change would be
"good guys against bad guys" (as in the Vietnam War, with imperialism being
the bad guys.)  Eventually, the good guys would win.  I still think that as
an overarching view, but it is clear that there are many conflicts between
"bad guys."  (Bad guys against bad guys --- please forgive the use of "guy",
a male-oriented figure of speech.)  So it is in Africa, where the pro-US
forces and the pro-Soviet forces used black people to fight their bloody
proxy wars,  armed them to the teeth, and then left them to fight over what
remained, when the Cold War ended. In some cases, such as Congo/Rwanda, etc.
old imperialist buddies, such as the U.S. and France, have actually been
arming opposite factions.

For those who think that "globalization" is a trend towards one hegemonic
capitalist class making war/dominating the rest of the people, I would
remind people that "imperialism" is a better concept than "globalization"
and that while on paper, some conflicts might appear to have a "logical
conclusion", in reality there are contradictions inside of contradictions,
and that this uneveness can lead to some of these contradictions maturing
before the overarching contradiction has a chance to fully resolve itself.
Put into plain language rather than admittedly vague abstractions, conflict
and war among the imperialists is still a major possibility.  Be careful
about siding with any of them.

Alan Spector