< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

chronology of financial crisis from 19th through 20th

by md7148

06 April 2000 17:48 UTC

Good morning list,

I need a detailed "chronology" of financial crisis (bank, money,
debt, commodity, whatever) from 19th through 20th centuries for 1. world
systemic wise (global) 2. US wise (domestic) 3. UK wise (domestic).
4. periphery wise analyses. Arrighi, Fishlow and Strange books are very
helpful in terms of providing a background on the international context of
19th and 2Oth centuries capital markets, and state/capital responses to
financial crises, but I need a more detailed information on the exact
chrolonology/economic history of domestic and international crises (which
are related anyway) in the core and periphery of the world system. I need
this information in order to determine my level of analysis before
choosing my countries for comparison. I should know if my variables make
sense, or whether or not I should do individual case study rather than
comparative analysis. I know the timing of contemporary ones world wise
(Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Turkey; debt and money crises in the late 20th
century, Ottoman debt crisis in the late 19th century, etc..), but still
info on these is welcome. I am somewhat  confused when it comes to tracing
the exact historical order of crises in the US, from the late 19th through
the 20 centuries. I know it spontaneously rather than historically. Do you
know any "chronological" sources that provides a background on this topic?

world system people and economic historians really dig into empirical
archeology of such issues; trends in business cycles, contraction,
expansion, long duree trends in capital markets, bla, bla..
their views are welcome too..

Any information sincerely welcomed....

thanx....

--