< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Talk at SUNY Albany (fwd)

by md7148

31 March 2000 22:34 UTC

I think that the folks will be interested in this. State University of New
York at Albany, Nelson A. Rockeffeller College, Graduate School of Public
Affairs, The Department of Public Administration and Policy presents Paul
Streen, founder of the influential journal World Development who will
speak on "What is Wrong with Comtemporary Economics?", Milne 200,
Rockefeller College, Tuesday, April 11, 2000, 4 p.m. Paul Streen is a
leading thinker on international development who has written on diverse
subjects ranging from the history of economic thought to international
trade to the measurement of social progress. As a reviwer of one of his
more recent works, Thinking about Development (1995) noted, Dr. Streen's
great legacy is: "his dedication to the proposition that behind
economists' stacks of equations and piles of tables are people
too many of whom lack opportunities to earn decent incomes, to secure
basic health and education, and to enjoy personal freedoms". Dr.Streen is
Professor of Emeritus of Economics at Boston University. He is a fellow of
Balliol College at Oxford University, and served as a visiting professor
at many universities throughout Europe. His many books include, What Price
Food? Beyond Adjustment, Strategies for Human Development and The United
National and the Brettton Woods Institutions. Asked where he called home,
the awowed "heterodox economist" said, "Having moved from Austria to
England, Scotland and America, my roots are not in the soil but
are aerial, across national boundries". Dr. Streen's cosmopolitan
background offers an unique vantage point to analyze the evolution of
thought and strategies on international development and its present scope.

A reception will follow the talk. For more information please call Dori
Brown (518) 442-5258 or Prof. Holy Sims (518) 442-5268.

You can also e-mail me (Mine) at md7148@cnsvax.albany.edu

To obtain Enrollment Information Call, (518)-442-5244. Visit our web site
at www.albany.edu/gspa

--
Mine Aysen Doyran
Phd Student