< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: gender: Judith Butler's pseudo materialism and cultural feminism.(fwd)

by md7148

22 March 2000 03:44 UTC

>Ortner "...concluded that the ubiquity of male domination had its roots
>in
>the facts of sexual reproduction."

Richard, what facts of sexual reproduction? can you give specific
examples? if male domination lies in biology or in the facts of
reproduction, then why are we constantly talking about the necessity of
gender equality if these facts are simply inevitable or natural? Ortner
should have talked about gender, not sex...understanding sex is okey, but
attiributing a "political meaning" (domination) to it other than it
deserves is simply a reification of biology, not a metarialist feminist
analysis. The materialist analysis aims to discover why we are as we are,
not why we are as we are biologically destinied to be. Biology is just a
material subtext of human beings and does not determine meanings like
domination UNLESS it is ideologicaly "represented" or "made" to be so..

final chapter on this issue..

adios,

Mine