< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: gender

by Kristin L. Marsh

18 March 2000 22:22 UTC

Not quite.  Gender refers to "feminine" vs. "masculine" behaviors,
roles, preferences, etc., that are associated with sex only as a social
construct: that is, we impose these associations.  Gender roles do not
naturally develop from sex differences.  And I would adamantly disagree
with you re: sex differences.  These are also socially constructed to
the extent that the dichotomous categorization of sex into either
all-female or all-male is, likewise, socially imposed.

West, Candace and Don H.Zimmerman. 1987. "Doing Gender." Gender and
Society, 1, 2: 125-51.

Coventry, Martha. "The Tyranny of the Esthetic: Surgery's Most Intimate
Violation."  Pp. 183-191 in Disch, ed., Reconstructing Gender.

Lucal, Betsy. 1999. "What it Means to be Gendered Me: Life on the
Boundaries of a Dichotomous Gender System." Gender and Society. 13, 6,
pp. 781-797.

Kristin Marsh
Department of Sociology
Emory University