< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Nanotechnology and the World System

by Institute for Global Futures Research (IGFR)

18 March 2000 09:34 UTC

Thomas McCarthy's article on Nanotechnology

I found disconcerting McCarthy's use of  - nanotechnology *will*  do
this, and nanotechnology *will* result in that.  Unless there is
overwhelming evidence to support a claim, it is appropriate to use
less dogmatic language.

It seems that much of McCarthy's reasoning and extrapolations
are bult on the premise that nanotechnology will provide a Cornucopia
of new wealth.

Before we can have a constructive exploration of possible implications
and scenarios stemming from the development of nanotechnology, I
believe we need
- some definitions,
- an idea of the progress of nanotechnology to date (would integrated
circuits be classified as nanotechnology ?),
- a range of specific examples of the potential for nanotechnology (the
most commonly cited seems to be use in the human body for diagnosis
purposes).
- and some projections from experts in the field.
- some sort of estimated time frame for the various stages of development
of the technology

Remember, in 1950 we expected everyone to have robots in their homes by
1970.  Nuclear fusion research has not come up with a power plant after
40 years.  A moon base is 10-20 years behind schedule and likely
to be another 30 years off, possibly much more.

It still needs to be demonstrated just how nanotechnology may cause a
radical change to the World System in the next few decades/half century.

It could be that technology will be the defining resource of the 21stC as
McCarthy suggests which could lead to greater equity and/or harmony or
to greater inequity and/or competition leading to conflict.

If technology becomes the defining resource in the world power game,
information technology, robotics, genetic engineering and nanotechnology
are likely to be front contenders.

(To what extent is the current US economic boom riding on its significant
lead in information technology ?  And to what extent is it a result of a
strong entrepreneurial culture, or a happy coincidence of factors such as
the
migration of capital after the Asian crisis, which look impressive before
the bubble bursts ?).

For technology to become the key resource of the 21st C may depend on
the extent they can be monopolised, and the extent to which they are
developed by public institutions and made available to the international
Commons.

The key issue is possibly more about science and technology
policy and democratisation, than it is about emerging technologies per se.

Geoff Holland.