< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: "sociobiology" (whatever that is)

by Steve Rosenthal

18 March 2000 00:04 UTC

I agree with Andrew and Mine in their rejection of sociobiology, and
I also do not think that Richard is an "enemy of the people." I would
like to add a few comments to the points Richard raised.

1. Altruism:  Richard has brought up the question of altruism as an
example of "progressive sociobiology."  If you examine the extensive
writings on altruism by sociobiology, you will discover that
sociobiologists  claim that all altruistic behavior turns out to be a
form of selfish behavior.  They argue that altruistic behavior is
behavior that enhances the survival and reproduction of those with
whom one shares many genes.  Thus, the altruistic behavior
contributes to the survival of one's own genes.  Moreover, the more
genes you share with others, the more likely you are to behave
altruistically toward them.  Hence, you are more likely to sacrifice
your life for your children or your brother, somewhat less likely for
extended kin, less likely for your "race" and not at all for those of
other "races."

Sociobiologists also make an argument about "reciprocal altruism."
They assert that reciprocal altruistic behavior enhances the survival
value of both parties, thus contributing to the propagation of their
genes.  Their "cooperation" thus serves their individual self
interest.

Socioibiologist Pierre van den Berghe took these arguments to their
logical conclusion.  He argued back in the late 1970s that it natural
for humans to be racist, because we share more genes with those of
our own "race," and that this true of all forms of "particularistic"
behavior.  Van den Berghe asserted that societies that are based on
particularisms are more stable and secure than societies which
attempt to contravene "human nature."  Either he meant that Nazi
Germany and apartheid South Africa and other such societies are more
stable, or perhaps he meant that racism and other paraticularisms
help capitalists divide and control the working class and preserve
capitalism.

Thus, there is nothing progressive about the sociobiological analysis
of altruism.  Ultimately, it is a cynical Paretan fascist argument
that every gene is out for itself, and humans are merely the
facilitators of that process.

2. Evolutionary psychology.  E.O. Wilson writes in "Consilience"
that evolutionary psychology is one of the four "bridges of
consilience" between sociobiology and the various non-sociobiologized
disciplines that remain to be conquered by biological reductionism
and thus made scientific.  It is thus a strategy of eviscerating
psychology so as to reinterpret human psychology in a biological
reductionist framework.

In conclusion,  I too accept biology and genetics.  Indeed, my wife
is a biochemist whose research involves genetics.  She knows many
geneticists.  Virtually none of them sees any science in
sociobiology.

Steve Rosenthal