< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Richard's apology for sexism, racism and capitalism

by Mine Aysen Doyran

16 March 2000 22:05 UTC

I am snipping some parts of Richard's response to me.

Due to time restriction, I can not write in details now. What amazes me is Richard's apology for socio-biology, and his DISTORTION of marxist-feminism as "not singeling out the possibility of biological determinism" in relatively progressive lists like this.  I wonder if he has any examples to support his distortion. I really surprised when people imply to Marxists that they are non-scientific or ideologues because they are criticizing socio-biology.  For this reason specifically, Richard  is an ideologue. No body denies biology. We DENY biological determinism or biological explanations of human behavior, including rape, and other sorts of violence. Race and gender are social categories, not biological givens. This can be scientifically proven if we really WANT to do so. RAce and gender are determined by the social and historical  environment we live in.  The idea that people differ because they differ genetically or biologically is called RACISM AND SEXISM.  It is scientifically FALSE and ideological, however justified in a scientific manner. It aims to preserve the class and gender system of the capitalist order. This idea is at the core of sociobiology and gene selection project conducted by majority of sociologists in the US  liKe Peterson (who is a self-proclaimed fascist), Rushton and Dawkins. They publish articles in the Mankind  journal, preaching "virtues in racism" and eugenics, and bitching affirmative action in favor of  "biological differences"... These guys are funded by Pioneer Fund and several other public, private institutions. They conduct research in universities!!  Go and read Mankind. I did not think that it was that serious before reading it...

Thanks we have Andy here, and some others who are sensitive to socio-biology.  We MUST condemn socio-biology and the neo-fascist direction evolutionary theory is taking nowadays.

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Andrew Wayne Austin wrote:

> What is relevant about sociobiology for the social scientist is its
> ideological utility in reproducing white male capitalist hegemony. On this
> score we must condemn it.
>
> Andrew Austin

Yes, indeed, Andy, this makes you an ideologue.  Since you asked.

RH

--

Mine Aysen Doyran
PhD Student