< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

[Fwd: [a16-international-planning] Press Conference Hits]

by christopher chase-dunn

15 March 2000 20:57 UTC

Hello all--

Here's a compilation of press hits from yesterday's smashingly successful
press conference.   Keep your eyes peeled for more.

We also appeared on Fox 10:00 News last night.   Send me a line if you know
of other TV appearances (especially if you happened to tape it!).

Best,
Laura

Laura Jones
2030 Center
1015 18th Street, NW, Suite 200
Washington, DC 20036
Voice: (202) 822-6526        Fax: (202) 822-1199         Web: www.2030.org

***************************************
Chicago Tribune

March 15, 2000 Wednesday

IMF, WORLD BANK ARE LIKELY TO GET
SEATTLE-STYLE TREATMENT IN D.C.

BYLINE: By Jeff Meredith, Washington Bureau. Tribune news services
contributed to this report.

BODY:
   Dozens of protest groups are planning to bring thousands of demonstrators
to the nation's capital in April to dramatize their opposition to policies
they say are impoverishing the less-developed world.

They are organizing their activities around next month's semiannual meetings
of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank, protest leaders said
Tuesday after World Bank President James Wolfensohn addressed the National
Press Club.

Protest leaders said they plan to use the same civil disobedience tactics
that
paralyzed Seattle during the World Trade Organization's meetings last fall.
As a result, the finance ministers, central bank governors and other
officials
from 182 nations meeting here April 16-17 could face confrontational
protests.

"We are calling for a shutdown of the [World] Bank and the IMF meeting,"
said Nadine Bloch of the Mobilization for Global Justice, the protest
umbrella group.

The group maintains the World Bank and IMF have put "profits before
workers' rights, human rights and the environment."

World Bank spokeswoman Carolyn Anstey said the organization is working to
address such concerns. She enumerated items on the agenda aimed at bettering
the condition of all people, such as the Poverty Re-education Strategy paper
and a dialogue about HIV/AIDS.

"We hope that these groups will also come to listen to what the bank is
doing
to fight poverty," Anstey said. "We would welcome people sitting around
tables, as opposed to [being] in the streets."

Groups in the Mobilization for Global Justice call for environmental
protection, raising living standards and better distribution of wealth,
especially through debt forgiveness for poor nations. Organized labor has
joined in their calls for improved conditions for workers around the world
and opposition to permanent normal trading relations with China.

"The labor movement has realized over the last six or eight years ... that
we
really need to reach out into the community if the labor movement is going
to achieve its goals," said David Richardson of the American Federation of
Government Employees. "For the longest time, we felt that we were speaking
for the great majority of people, and yet our numbers were dwindling."

With the violence in Seattle still fresh in memory, protest group leaders
Tuesday pledged the use of "non-violent education and direct-action
methods," including marches, teach-ins, musical performances and staged
rallies.

"There was no violence in Seattle, save the violence done by police to
people and protesters in the street," Bloch said. "There was property
destruction. ... Here in Washington, D.C., we have non-violence guidelines
which include a guideline of no property destruction."

The groups plan to meet in Washington on April 8 to begin a week of events
ranging from a rally against granting China permanent normal trading status
a "teach-in on the devastating effects of the International Monetary Fund
and
World Bank," Bloch said.

"It's going to be a mix of styles. You'll probably see everything from a
Palm
Sunday service to a street festival," Bloch said. "You'll probably see
lockdowns, which are different mechanisms for shutting off streets or
buildings that we want closed down."

April 16 and 17 are slated for "non-violent direct action and protest" at
the
World Bank/IMF meetings.

While the protest methods may vary, their adoption has surged across an
emerging broad coalition, said Ruth Caplan from the Alliance for
Democracy.

"The holding above all else [of] economic values is something that is being
rejected in this country all across the political spectrum," Caplan said.

Washington Post

Wednesday, March 15, 2000; Page B03

IMF Foes Plan Massive Demonstration

Leaders of a planned protest against policies of the World Bank and
International Monetary Fund predicted yesterday that tens of thousands of
demonstrators will converge on Washington on April 16 and 17 to prevent top
officials of the organizations from holding scheduled meetings.

 The campaign, called the Mobilization for Global Justice, is led by many
groups that blocked ministers of the World Trade Organization from meeting
in November and
Decemberin Seattle. Saying they are drawing strength from the "spirit of
Seattle," the demonstrators will use nonviolent civil disobedience to keep
officials from entering meetings and possibly trap them in their hotels,
said Nadine Bloch, spokeswoman for the groups.

In Seattle, much of downtown was paralyzed, and some protesters smashed
store windows. Police fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse crowds,
and they arrested hundreds. Bloch said the Washington demonstrators would
pledge nonviolence and promise not to damage property. But organizers cannot
regulate every person's actions, she said.

Reuters

IMF and World Bank targeted for April protests.

By Mark Egan

03/14/2000
Reuters English News Service

WASHINGTON, March 14 (Reuters) - Activists will converge on the streets of
Washington in April to disrupt a meeting of the International Monetary Fund
but will avoid the violence seen at the WTO summit in Seattle, organisers
said on Tuesday.

The World Trade Organisation's Seattle summit last December was marked
by looting and clashes between police and protesters, but organisers of
April's
demonstrations say this will not happen in Washington.

"We want to be engaged in nonviolent direct action and ... we will not
condone the destruction of property or the hurting of individuals," Rev.
Grayland Hagler of the Plymouth United Church of
Christ told a news briefing.

That notion was echoed by others in the Mobilisation for Global Justice
coalition, which is organizing the protest on April 16 and 17 to coincide
with the IMF and World Bank's Spring meetings.

But Nadine Black said: "We cannot control the masses of people who come to
Washington and cannot take responsibility for people who act outside of our
guidelines."

The activists, a coalition of environmentalists, religious groups,
labour unions, students, anarchists and
others, believe the IMF and World Bank have deepened poverty in poor
countries through ill-conceived economic policies.

Organisers are hoping thousands will descend on the capital in April
for a week of activities culminating in mass protests aimed at shutting down
the IMF and World Bank meetings in similar
fashion to the way the WTO's Seattle meeting was disrupted in December.

Many of those who were involved in the Seattle actions are taking part
in organising the April demonstration which they view as a sequel to
Seattle.

World Bank President James Wolfensohn told reporters on Tuesday, "I think
demonstration is useful and I will never stop it, but I prefer to sort it
out in discussion."

Washington police have said they will accommodate the protests but will not
tolerate violence or property destruction of any kind.

The coalition meets every Tuesday night at a local university to hammer out
ideas for the April protests.

Despite the assertions of peaceful intent, some at the Tuesda meetings have
said property destruction is a valuable political tool - leading to fears
that the
scenes in Seattle could be repeated in Washington.

DEBT BURDEN

Critics believe the economic conditions that come with IMF and World
Bank loans have saddled poor nations with a debt burden which stymies growth
and makes funding vital services such as health, education and sanitation
near impossible.

Kevin Danaher , of San Francisco's Global Exchange, said the two lending
agencies demand poor nations comply with "policies designed in Washington
and Wall Street."

"Policies designed with no consultation of the grass-roots people of that
particular country cannot in any way lead to the elimination of poverty,"
Danaher said. "It's like having the guy who never rides
 the bus running the mass transit system."

The coalition wants the IMF and World Bank to cancel all debts owed to them
and to cease foisting austere economic policies on poor nations.

They are also seeking reparation for poor nations for the damage they say
the lending bodies caused through bad lending. They also want any IMF or
World Bank official found to have been involved in corruption to be
prosecuted.

The coalition is planning a series of events starting on April 8, including
conferences, seminars, street festivals and religious services culminating
on April 16 and 17 when they hope thousands will take to the streets and
shut down the IMF-World Bank meetings.

Dow Jones

Activist Groups Seek To Shut Down April IMF Meetings

03/14/2000
Capital Markets Report

  By Jonathan Nicholson

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Attempting to build on their protests in
Seattle last year,representatives of activists groups will march in
Washington in hopes of disrupting the mid-April meetings of the
International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.

"In Seattle, we showed that people power can take on the instruments of
corporate globalization - and win," said Kevin Danaher, an activist with
Global Exchange, one of 19 groups sponsoringdemonstrations as a consortium
called Mobilization for Global Justice.

"In April, in Washington, D.C., we will demonstrate that the IMF and
World Bank have not alleviated global poverty; instead they have exacerbated
it."

Activist groups demonstrated in Seattle, disrupting the Nov. 30-Dec. 4
World Trade Organization meeting. Riots associated with the protests caused
$2.5 million in damage and led to the arrest of 500 demonstrators.

The tools the demonstrators used in Seattle, what they called "mass
non-violent direct action," will also be on display here, organizers said.
The World Bank and IMF meetings are set for April 16 and April 17, a Sunday
and a Monday, respectively.

"We are calling for a shutdown of the Bank and IMF meetings and we are also
having
demonstrations all around the city in regards to that," said Nadine Bloch,
one of the event organizers, at a packed press conference held at the
National Press Club.

"It may be that some of the IMF and Bank officials cannot get to their
meetings," she said.

Protesters Denounce "Elite" Officials

The weekend protests are seen as the culmination of programs beginning a
week ahead of time. According to a flyer promoting the event, there will be
a gathering on the Mall on April 9 to call for cancellation of poor country
debt; a religiously-oriented "stations of
the the cross" dramatization on April 11, beginning at the Capitol; and a
rally to oppose the expansion of the WTO on April 12.

"There will also be significant activities for people who do not wish to
risk arrest," according to the flyer.

The groups denied, however, that their demonstrations led to violence in
Seattle or are likely to cause violence here.

Bloch said the violence in Seattle was caused by police officers, not
protesters. Also, she said demonstrators affiliated with Mobilization for
Global Justice would be under guidelines that prohibit property violence.

The groups argue the international financial institutions have hurt
many developing countries by imposing restrictive economic policies upon
them in return for loans.

Danaher said too often the economic programs are the result of "elite"
officials in Third World Countries working with out-of-touch officials in
Washington.

"It's like the guy who never rides the bus, let's have him design the mass
transit system," he said.

-By Jonathan Nicholson; Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-9255;
jonathan.nicholson@dowjones.com

AP Online

March 14, 2000; Tuesday 7:26 PM, Eastern Time

PROTESTERS DENOUNCE IMF MEETINGS

BYLINE: HARRY DUNPHY

    Opponents of globalization of the world economy threatened Tuesday to
try to shut down meetings of the International Monetary Fund and the World
Bank next month, but said they wanted to avoid the violence that paralyzed
Seattle during last year's World Trade Organization session.

Both institutions said they were prepared to talk with the protesters but
were drawing up contingency plans to prevent disruptions of their sessions
here on April 16 and 17 that draw finance ministers, central bank governors
and other officials from 182 nations.

The activists said they expected tens of thousands of people from around the
United States and abroad to come to the capital for demonstrations that will
include blocking streets or buildings in an effort to prevent officials from
attending their meetings.

They will also hold teach-ins, parades with giant puppets ridiculing the IMF
and World Bank from April 9-17 to build on the momentum they said they
established in Seattle.

They will lobby members of Congress on their opposition to the globalization
of the world economy, as well on issues such as debt forgiveness for the
world's poorest nations.

The protest groups view the IMF and the World Bank, both based in
Washington, as institutions whose programs have failed these countries while
enriching corporations and degrading the environment.

Demonstrators, including U.S. labor unions, will use the occasion to fight
the Clinton administration's efforts to secure congressional approval of
normal trade relations with China.

One of the organizers, Nadine Block of the Mobilization for Global Justice,
the umbrella group for more than 250 organizations involved, said,
''nonviolence and no property destruction are guidelines being emphasized in
training sessions'' for those who will lead the protests.

Asked at a news conference if officials would be blocked in their hotels as
they were in Seattle, Block replied, ''It's possible.''

Graylan Hagler, a minister at the Plymouth Congregation of the United Church
of Christ in Washington, said he was concerned about reports District of
Columbia police had received riot control equipment and training.

''We are committed to nonviolence but we hope the police are equally
committed to protecting the rights of free speech,'' he said.

District police said they have put together a team to prepare for the
demonstrators and will not allow the capital to be shut down. Police Chief
Charles Ramsey has attended a recent FBI seminar on the lessons of the
Seattle disorder.

In a speech at the National Press Club, World Bank President James
Wolfensohn defended his organization's record, admitting some mistakes had
been made but a lot of good had been done as well.

Replying to a question about the planned protests, he said ''Demonstrating
is useful but I would prefer sorting things out in discussions.'' He has met
several times in the past with nongovernment organizations critical of the
bank.

IMF spokesman Thomas Dawson said, ''We are reaching out and look forward to
talking to anyone who wants to talk to us. We have attempted to maintain a
dialogue and some (groups) do respond.''

He said these efforts would continue but as a precaution the IMF, which
organizes the spring meetings, had held talks with local authorities to
develop contingency plans if protesters try to shut down the meetings.

Dawson and other IMF officials have declined to go into detail on security
arrangements but said they have to be sensitive given what happened in
Seattle.
 _

On the Net: Mobilization for Global Justice Web site: www.a16.org;
International Monetary Fund Web site: www.imf.org; The World
Bank Group Web site: www.worldbank.org

Agence France Presse

March 15, 2000, Wednesday 3:14 AM, Eastern Time

Anti World Bank, IMF activists say thousands will rally in DC next month

BYLINE: Nathaniel Harrison

DATELINE: WASHINGTON, March 14

BODY:
   Thousands of demonstrators will pour into the streets of Washington next
month to stage non-violent direct action protests against the World Bank and
the IMF, organizers predicted here Tuesday.

The Mobilization for Global Justice, grouping organized labor, human rights
and environmental activists, and faith-based movements, said its two days of
protests April 16-17 will target the annual spring meetings of World Bank
and International Monetary Fund policymakers.

The coalition said its actions would include teach-ins, marches and street
theater.

"We're calling for a shut-down of the IMF and Bank meetings," organizer
Nadine Bloch told a press conference here. "And it may be that some IMF and
Bank officials may not be able to get to their meetings" and could find
themselves stuck in their hotels.

But she stressed that the Mobilization is also committed to non-violence and
does not condone property destruction.

"We cannot take responsibility for people who do things outside those
guidelines," she said.

"That's the responsibility of the World Trade Organization, the World Bank
and the International Monetary Fund. We lay that down at their doorstep
because they're the ones that perpetuate violence against people every
minute of every day."

Activists here hope to build on momentum generated in Seattle, Washington
last December when a massive mobilization disrupted a ministerial meeting of
the World Trade Organization.

They are now taking aim at the World Bank and the IMF, whose policies and
projects they charge have impoverished and exploited millions of people in
developing countries and have devastated the environment.

"The record of the IMF and the World Bank is one of unmitigated failure,"
said Njoki Njoroge Njehu, director of the 50 Years Is Enough Network, one of
the main sponsors of the demonstrations.

"Their harsh austerity programs and failed megaprojects have disqualified
them from any future role in development. It is time to shrink these
institutions."

The two lending bodies have been "complicit" with multinational corporations
in promoting profit-driven projects at the expense of workers' rights and
environmental safeguards, according to the coalition.

Pressed by the Fund and the Bank to institute economic reform, poor
countries have been forced to slash spending on education and health care,
it said in a statement.

Stung by criticism of their handling of the 1997-1998 Asian financial
crisis, where the IMF in particular was faulted for having advocated higher
interest rates to stabilize currencies, the Bank and the Fund have lately
stressed the importance of poverty reduction and social spending in their
programs.

In a study released here Tuesday, the Bank said its lending of three billion
dollars to community-based development around the world has attracted an
additional five billion dollars from donor governments and other agencies.

As a result, it added, more than 60 countries have established social
development projects that have improved schools and health services and
upgraded water supplies and local roads.

IMF officials have answered their critics by pointing to a turnaround in the
economies of once-struggling Asian nations, insisting that restoring
stability demanded harsh -- but ultimately effective -- measures.

But activists with Mobilization for Global Justice see the Bank and the Fund
as underpinning a corporate-driven campaign for economic globalization.

"They say keep your country open," noted Kevin Danaher, an author with the
group Global Exchange.

"Open to what? Open means open to the penetration of big transnational
corporations that are interested in one thing and one thing only -- profit
maximization. So they'll cut down the trees, over-fish your waters and rip
out your minerals and leave poverty and environmental devastation behind."