< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Capital is wrong

by Steve Rosenthal

10 March 2000 21:40 UTC

The debate over whether "Capital is wrong" produced many thoughtful
analyses of political economy, but I've been waiting for someone to
point out what I think is pretty obvious.  Specifically, Marx is
beginning his analysis of capital by pointing out the distinction
between appearance and essence.  He is basically saying that capital
appears to be an immense accumulation of commodities, but analysis
demonstrates that its essence is an accumulation of capital.  And
that is what Marx then sets out to show.

The notion that capital is an accumulation of commodities is a common
misconception among my students.  Those who come from relatively
affluent background experience capitalism mainly as businesses that
sell commodities which they purchase.  Some of them have never
thought about the labor power that produced those commodities.  Few
have thought about how profit is extracted from labor power, rather
than from charging high prices to consumers.  These students have
been mistrained to look at appearances, rather than essences.

Marx was right to emphasize the contradiction between the appearance
and essence of capital (and capitalism).  We should never be hesitant
about acknowledging and correcting errors Marx or anyone else made,
but the dialectic approach Marx devised to examining capital  was
right.

Steve Rosenthal