< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Capital is wrong

by George Pennefather

10 March 2000 19:06 UTC

Below is a brief response to the many responses to my very brief piece on
Marx's Capital.

I wrote:

"In the opening paragraph of Capital Marx proclaims:

The wealth of those societies in which the capitalist mode of production
prevails,
presents itself as "an immense accumulation of commodities," its unit being
a single
commodity. Our investigation must therefore begin with the analysis of a
commodity.
So the capitalist mode of production can prevail in more than one society.

To say that the "wealth of those societies presents itself as an immense
accumulation of
commodities" is not true. Much of the existing wealth is in the form of
industrial capital
which is
not capital in the form of the commodity. This mistaken premise renders the
validity of
making the commodity a starting point questionable on that basis."

It is clear from many of the responses made in relation to my above posting
that there is
a lot of ignorance, confusion and down right refusal to face facts.

To elaborate: The point is that the wealth of capitalist society does not
present itself
"as an immense accumulation of commodities." Much of the wealth of
capitalist society is
in the form of factories. Factories are forms of capital but not
commodities. The
factories are a form of fixed capital. Fixed capital is not a commodity
form. Much wealth
too assumes the form of use values. Capital assumes different forms. It
assumes the form
of money, of circulating capital, of fixed capital. of variable capital.
Capital also
assumes the form of the commodity.

The thousands of cars on the roads and televisions and computers in homes
are not
commodities. They are use values. Concerning the consumer market once the
exchange process
has been completed the commodities in question cease to be commodities and
are at most
simple use values.

In short the wealth of capitalist society does not present itself as an
immense
accumulation of commodities. That wealth presents itself as commodities; as
use values
that are not commodities; as forms of capital that are not commodity forms.
The plain fact
is that Marx in his opening statement was plain wrong.

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.eircom.net/~beprepared/

Be free to subscribe to our Communist Think-Tank mailing community by
simply placing subscribe in the body of the message at the following
address:
mailto:rev-commies-subscribe@eGroups.com