< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Information requested (fwd)

by md7148

09 March 2000 16:44 UTC

Dear List,

I have a specific question to friends in the list with an economic history
background.

A. In the "core" of the world system (US), which TWO specific FINANCIAL
crises would you choose to compare, in terms of understanding the
structure of capital and business/state response to crises.

1. one in late 19th or early 20th centuries
2. one in late 20th century (1980s or 1990s)

B. This is a question to third world people in the list: in the periphery
or semi-periphery of the world system (let's say Turkey), which TWO
(or one) specific FINANCIAL crises would you choose for the same reasons
mentioned above?

1. one in late 19th or early 20th century
2. one in late 20th century (1970s-1990s)

C. The timing of crises can be the same for both periphery and core (for
example, great depression for both US and Turkey).

D. In Britain, there were were two financial crises in the banking sector.
One in 1890S and the other in 1990s. They are called Barings crises. This
is a merchant bank, bank of Queen, which went to bankcrupt during these
periods, and its losses were covered  by the central bank of England. do
you know a similar case in the economic history of US? this is related to
question A.

E. How would you specifically define financial crisis? I know the meaning
but I need to clarify it. bank crisis? business crisis? Is it related to
Hilferding's definition of "finance capital" as the merging of bank
capital with big business capital and conglomorations, as in the case of
Germany?

thanks very much for your attention,

Mine Aysen Doyran
Phd student