< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

studies in comparative international development

by christopher chase-dunn

28 February 2000 14:10 UTC

Greetings,

I am writing to let you know that the journal Studies in Comparative
International Development has just moved to Berkeley under the editorship
of Ruth Berins Collier, professor of political science.  I have joined
seven others as a member of the Executive Board, which is based at Berkeley
and which will participate in setting the overall direction of the journal.
We are actively seeking first-rate manuscripts and to encourage you to
submit a contribution.

We view this as an exciting opportunity to build an innovative,
interdisciplinary journal.  As you may know, the hallmark of the journal
when it was founded was its attention to alternative perspectives on
fundamental issues facing developing economies, polities, and societies.
This is a tradition that the new editorial team is eager to draw on and
strengthen.

The Executive Board represents a range of social science disciplines,
regional interests, analytic themes, and methodological approaches.  It
consists of:  Pranab Bardhan, Manuel Castells, Kiren Chaudhry, David
Collier, Steven Fish, James Robinson, Michael Watts and me. Gerardo Munck
of the University of Illinois is the new book review editor. I have
attached our new editorial statement below.

I hope you will take advantage of the new direction of the journal and help
us make it a leading outlet for articles on comparative political economy
and development.  We would welcome your submissions.

Best regards,
Peter Evans

Editorial Statement

Studies in Comparative International Development is an interdisciplinary
journal, which addresses issues concerning political, social, and economic
change in national, comparative, and international contexts.   It focuses
on political and state institutions, the relationship between national and
international economies, contrasting political-economic models of growth,
the interaction between the economy, social structure, and politics, and
related cultural and ideological issues.  The journal has a tradition of
presenting critical, alternative, and innovative analytical perspectives
that challenge prevailing orthodoxies.  It publishes original research
articles on all world regions and is open to all theoretical and
methodological approaches.

In addition to research articles, the Research Forum section is an outlet
for: State-of-the-Literature Surveys that summarize and evaluate
significant, thematically linked bodies of literature; Methodological
Essays that evaluate and/or make an original contribution to the debates
about the conduct of social science research; Concept and Indicator
Analyses that critically analyze the ways key concepts have been employed
or key variables have been operationalized through alternative, usually
quantitative indicators; Research and Data Notes that present more limited
findings or discuss data sets, including sources, collection, and issues of
sampling and reliability.   Finally, the Book Review section publishes
Review Essays as well as reviews of individual books.

Manuscript Submissions should be sent in both hardcopy (3 copies) and
electronic form (disk or email attachment).  Research articles and
contributions to the Research Forum should be submitted to: SCID,
Department of Political Science, 210 Barrows Hall, University of
California, Berkeley, CA 94720-1950 and scid@socrates.berkeley.edu.
Authors should put name, address, phone, fax, and e-mail address on a
separate cover sheet and remove identifying information from the title page
and body of the manuscript.  They should also include an abstract of up to
150 words and a brief biographical statement.  Proposals for book review
essays should be sent to: Gerardo Munck, Department of Political Science,
University of Illinois, 361 Lincoln Hall, 702 South Wright St., Urbana, IL
61801.