< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: SSSP session on Democratic Party, comment

by Spectors

15 February 2000 14:17 UTC

While I agree with nearly all of Mark's main point -- that "blaming" either
party is a very inadequate way to answer isses of inequality, injustice,
etc., I do still believe that it is important to expose particular aspects
of how the capitalist system works.  There are many people will illusions
about the Democratic Party -- I might be very critical of the Democratic
Party, but that does not mean that everyone else does.  It certainly can be
useful to expose particular aspects of capitalist society.

Exposing aspects of capitalist injustice certainly does open the door to
reformism or intellectual gadflyism without praxis -- both of which could
undermine the struggle for deeper social transformation. On the other hand,
one could argue that merely changing the structure of the election laws
similarly only plays into the reformism that asserts that social injustice
and inequality can be achieved without confronting the class nature of the
state, and the state itself, and the class (capitalist) which controls the
state.

In any case, Mark's points are well taken, and I would welcome any relevant
presentations on that session.

Alan Spector