< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Unemployment and Unequal Exchange

by g kohler

05 February 2000 17:14 UTC

see, comment below
-----Original Message-----
From: Wiliam Kirk <WILLIAM@maybee15.freeserve.co.uk>
To: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Date: February 5, 2000 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: Unemployment and Unequal Exchange

The working paper Unemployment (Center) and Unequal Exchange (Center-Periphery), Gernot Köhler, is interesting in that in the micro economy it is true to say that if you have poor neighbours then you aren’t going to sell to them. Rather than reduce your price, why not give the neighbours money? And money that was theirs anyway? To what extent does the recently announced relief package for the third world, I have this at about $100B, and over twenty years is $5B. The 1994 data on Unequal Exchange is $1,600B. So does this mean the third word is getting a 5/1,600 or 0.3 per cent refund?

William Kirk.

COMMENT:

Willie, I agree that the refunds or compensations that Third World countries receive from the First World in terms of aid and relief packages are very small in comparison to the losses they incur due to unfair trade and unfair exchange rates. This has also been noted in some UNDP literature, albeit with some different calculations. I think, therefore, that people like the Africa Reparations Movement are on the right track. What puzzles me is why the governments of the Second and Third World do not speak up more for themselves? Based on my calculations, they could, as a group, have claimed 1 to 2 trillion dollars as compensation for unequal exchange for the year 1995 alone. In my opinion that is a piece of money well worth fighting for.

Gert Kohler