< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Dr Barendse's Comments

by Malcolm Pratt

21 January 2000 17:10 UTC

Hi everyone,

Like Dr Barendse I agree that the debate about Chris Chase Dunn's book is
very good.  I too get very cheesed off with the vast amount blurb and
endless discussion of odd details and theoretical knitpicking that lands in
the mail box, but its not all bad and I don't really think getting annoyed
really solves the problem of the quality of what is on WSN, which, to be
true, does seem to have dropped in recent months.

The problem is that the level of academic debate has dropped because fewer
people are contributing, including C C Dunn, A G Frank or Wallerstein and
the rest of the World System All Stars, who don't seem to send much in
anymore.  This may be because people are very busy.  Maybe many good
contributors have got fed up with WSN, I don't know.  But it's no good just
moaning about the quality of the contributions and "in crowds".  Perhaps
what we need is more stuff like Dunn's book, discussions about work in
progress, perhaps Frank on the sequal to REOrient, if there is one,
Wallerstein on World Systems V, if it exists, and Dr. R.J. Barendse, either
another excelent contribution like his last one, or maybe an essay on what
can be learnt from the relaxed social attitudes of the Dutch.

Yours

M.J.Pratt MA,MA (Marxist/Undogmatic)