< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Political kidnapping of 6-year-old Cuban Elian Gonzalez

by Broome P

16 January 2000 22:02 UTC

Mr. Beatty,

Just because you were born post 1960 (as I was too), that does not give you
the right to disregard the appalling atrocities that took place pre-Castro,
nor ignore what Castro has done for the majority of the Cuban people since,
which I should add, has been severely hampered by both the US, and a
generally hostile western community. Cuba has a right to self determination
and if that choice is by flying in the face of international economic and
cultural imperialism, then they have the right to choose that path.

Before criticising Castro you should take a closer look at the antics of
your own government, both domestically and internationally. I have mine, and
I am not best pleased at what I have learnt.

Just because you have a so-called 'democratic' system of government does not
always give you the moral higher ground to criticise some that do not.

Regards, Paul.

Paul Broome
Doctoral Student
Centre for Developing Areas Research