< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

American Sociological Association- Political Economy of the WorldSystem activities]

by christopher chase-dunn

12 January 2000 21:22 UTC

Dear Colleagues,

        In celebration of the new year,  I want to urge you all to renew
your
membership in the Political Economy of the World System section.  We are
planning a particularly interesting program for the ASA in Washington in
August.

        Specifically, we are jointly sponsoring with the Political Sociology
section, a one day mini-conference on the "The Politics of Globalization"
that will take place the day before the start of the ASA conference.
Plenary
speakers for the mini-conference include Immanuel Wallerstein, Neil
Fligstein,
Saskia Sassen, and Beverly Silver.  There will also be two open sessions,
one
on "Globalization and Resistance" and the other on "Institutions of
Globalization."  Deadlines for submission for these two sessions are March
1st, 2000.

        Complete information on the mini-conference is available at the
webpage:
http://sociology.ucdavis.edu/pewspol/index.html.  We are grateful to Sean
O'Riain at U.C. Davis for organizing this website.  Please check it out.

        One other piece of information.  One of the PEWS sessions is being
organized in collaboration with the Section on International Migration.
The topic is "Comparative Studies of International Migration in the World
System."  The organizer, Luin Goldring,  (goldring@yorku.ca) is still
looking
for papers for this session.

        Sincerely,   Fred Block