< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

CFP, SSHA 2000 Pittsburgh

by Thomas D. [Tom] Hall, THALL@DEPAUW.EDU

11 January 2000 16:56 UTC

WSN, H-World, Comparative Historical Section
Apologies for cross posting, but feel free to forward to interested
parties.
tom
-----

CALL FOR PAPERS

Panels on Macrohistorical Dynamics within the conference:

LOOKING BACKWARD AND LOOKING FORWARD:
PERSPECTIVES ON SOCIAL SCIENCE HISTORY
THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY MEETING OF THE SSHA

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, October 26-29, 2000

Macrohistorical
Dynamics (MD) is a research field on the intersection of
interests and subjects of social evolutionism; world, macro-, and
theoretical history; macro- and  historical sociology;
world-system analysis; comparative study of civilizations;
geopolitics, studies of long-term socio-ecological, technological,
demographic, cultural, political trends and transformations, etc.
More detailed information on MD is available in the SSHA site
http://www.ipums.umn.edu/~ssha/macro/

Since the very beginning in 1997 such distinguished scholars as
A.F.Frank, R.Carneiro, G.Modelski, J.Goudsblom, A.Stinchcombe,
R.Collins, S.Sanderson, M.Mann, Chr.Chase-Dann, D.Little et al. took
part in MHD panels and we hope that at least some of them will
support the enterprise in Pittsburg-2000.

This year the Macrohistorical Dynamics network is guaranteed
only 3 panels, but we may get more if we are quick and
well-organized. The deadline for paper and/or panel submissions is
February 1, 2000.

Submissions are expected to be made by the Internet by means of Web
applications. Paper title, brief abstract, and contact information
should be submitted on the site
http://www.ipums.umn.edu/~ssha where the general SSHA-2000 call for
papers is also available.

Now the MHD network is being coordinated by a "troika": Randy Groves
(Ferris College), Thomas D. Hall (Colgate University), and Nikolai
Rozov (Novosibirsk State University, Russia).

In keeping with the theme of the meetings, Nikolai has suggested a
retrospective consideration of theoretical developments over the last
few decades might be in order.

Tom has suggested we might have a modified book panel ('Author meets
critics') in which we all agree to discuss several/a few books in
common [this may overlap with Nikolai's suggestion].  A key point
here is to NOT have a session dedicated to one book, so that if the
author can not attend, as happened in 99 the session will not be
cancelled.  [NOTE:  this is an ssha rule, for a session on one book
to go, the author (or at least one of multiple authors) MUST be
present]. The moral is that we expect book sessions proposals mainly
from book authors or from those who are ready and responsible for
bringing an author to Pittsburg, October 26-29.

SSHA has set up a mechanism for networks to share papers, so even
if you have a solo paper, send the idea along.  It is possible and
useful to mark a paper not only by the MD network, but
also by some other co-sponsoring networks, say, Theory/Methods,
Historical Geography, Politics, Culture, Economics, etc. Chances of
co-sponsored papers to be accepted by the SSHA Program Commitee are
higher, as well as chances of the MD network to expand by means of
co-sponsored panels.

We dare to propose some preliminary titles of panels for soft
orientation in MD-connected problematique:

The Long History of Macrohistory: Old Questions and New Answers

Historical Macrosociology in 1960s-1990s: Crucial Problems and Key
Breakthroughs

Destiny of the Covering Laws Project: Are There Working
Macrosociological Theories?

Geopolitics, Geoeconomics, and Geoculture:  Bridging
Paradigms

Social Evolution and Systemic Transformations in World History

Structurizing World History: Principles, Criteria, Periodizations

Prospects of Macrohistorical Dynamics in 21-st Century

The list of MD panel themes is open, at the same time your paper
submissions marked by this or that theme will help us to choose the
most appropriate ones and group them reasonably.

Please use the SSHA submission site (find the address above)
and feel free to write to us if something is unclear.

Contact info:
EMAIL:
Randy Groves [groves@ferris.edu]
Thomas D. Hall [thall@mail.colgate.edu[
Nikolai Rozov [rozov@nsu.ru]

SSHA: http://www.ipums.umn.edu/~ssha

SNAILMAIL [for those in the Western hemisphere, Hall or Groves
are preferable address]:

Randall Groves
Dept. of Humanities
1009 Campus Drive, J-H 126