Re: world state

Wed, 8 Oct 1997 16:15:29 -0400 (EDT)
wwagar@binghamton.edu

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Richard N Hutchinson wrote:

> Chris, Warren and all-
>
> The reason I mentioned Samir Amin above all others in an earlier post is
> that he has most vociferously kept to the forefront the fact of the
> polarization brought about by actually existing capitalism.
>
> It is much more realistic, because based on this material
> fact to think that a global alliance might someday arise in the periphery
> than worldwide across the zones.
>
> So it is one thing to act in an internationalist way in the core, but
> another to think that the masses of the core are likely to join. This is
> the primary reason that talk of a world party, coming from core
> intellectuals, rings hollow.

I guess that's the impression we've given in talking about a world
party, but if so, it's definitely misleading. It's more than possible
that the initiative for a world party and much of its mass support would
come from the periphery. I have no problem with that at all.

> I believe that if such a proposal is to be realized it will have to be
> initiated in the periphery. In the meantime, our plan here in the core
> must be more modest, not in the sense of not putting forth maximum effort,
> but in the sense of not being so presumptuous as to think that we will
> >>lead<< the New International.

Agreed. But maybe we can seed the clouds of the periphery with a
few rain-producing ideas. I for one don't want to "lead" anybody!

Cheers,

Warren