Re: A Global Union

Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:28:40 +0100
Richard K. Moore (rkmoore@iol.ie)

6/27/97, Andrew Austin wrote:
>Don't the people of the third world labor markets deserve the same
>marginal benefits (i.e., health benefits, 40 hour week, vacation time,
>safe conditions, descent wages, etc.) as their counterparts had doing the
>same job?

Came across this old post as I've been reading Greider's "One World Ready
or Not". He points out that some third-world workers, not to mention
governments, consider the above attitude imperialistic (or arrogantly
paternalistic) in that these folks see their "comparative advantage" in
their cheaper and more compliant work force.

Of course there are other third-world workers fighting for better treatment
- don't know what the mix of opinion is. But worker-solidarity on a global
basis seems to have difficulties of many kinds.

rkm