New Web Site on Corporations (fwd)

Sun, 15 Dec 1996 14:43:00 -0500 (EST)
ROBERT J.S. (rross@clarku.edu)

Robert J.S. Ross 508 793 7243
Department of Sociology fax: 508 793 8816
Clark University
950 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01610

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 11:22:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael Eisenscher <meisenscher@igc.apc.org>
To: Labor Research and Action Project <Labor-Rap@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject: New Web Site on Corporations

>/* Written 9:18 PM Dec 11, 1996 by trac in igc:women.news
>/* ---------- "New Corporate Watchdog Web Site!!!" -- */
>From: trac@igc.apc.org (Corporate Watch)
>
>** Please cross-post and redistribute **
>
>12/10/96
>
>CORPORATE WATCH WEB SITE ONLINE
>http://www.corpwatch.org
>
>A new watchdog website dedicated to monitoring the
>activities of transnational corporations went online
>today.
>
>Corporate Watch is designed to provide journalists,
>activists and policy makers around the world with up to
>date information and analysis on social, ecological and
>economic impacts of transnational corporations.
>
>"We intend to be an online clearinghouse for
>information on these companies," explained Corporate
>Watch editorial board member Antonio Diaz.
>
>The site will also serve as a mini-online magazine that
>runs features on related issues.
>
>"One of the reasons we've created Corporate Watch is to
>keep an eye on all those Fortune 500 companies that are
>jumping on the World Wide Web bandwagon," remarked the
>site's editorial coordinator, Joshua Karliner. "That's
>why our first Feature focuses on the corporatization of
>the Internet itself."
>
>Entitled "The Battle for the Future of the Internet,"
>the Feature includes commentary from Hot Wired
>executive producer Gary Wolf, media and technology
>critic Jerry Mander, NetAction director Audrie Krause,
>and Brazilian Internet activist Carlos Afonso.
>
>The Corporate Watch site also includes:
>
> *An eight part nuts and bolts manual on how to
>research transnational corporations.
>
> *Monthly "greenwash" awards given out by Corporate
>Watch and the environmental group Greenpeace to the
>most outrageous corporate "environmental"
>advertisements.
>
> *An Image Gallery, with a permanent environmental
>art collection and rotating monthly exhibits. This
>month's exhibit features images from Bhopal, India,
>commemorating the 12th Anniversary of the Union Carbide
>Gas Disaster.
>
> *In-depth analysis on corporate globalization,
>including reports from the Institute for Policy Studies
>in Washington DC and the New Delhi, India-based Public
>Interest Research Group.
>
> *News from various sources, including
>Multinational Monitor, the Malaysia-based Third World
>Network, Ecuador-based Oil Watch.
>
> *Direct Links to the Corporate Watch Affiliate
>Group--a collection of organizations which provide in
>depth research services.
>
> *Links to hundreds of other websites with analysis
>of or information produced by transnational
>corporations.
>

>Corporate Watch is a joint project of TRAC--the
>Transnational Resource and Action Center and IGC--the
>Institute for global communications.
>

>contact: Joshua Karliner
>tel: 415-561-6567
>fax: 415-561-6493
>email: trac@igc.org
>web: http://www.corpwatch.org

> [...]
Michael Eisenscher
Doctoral Candidate, Public Policy Program
University of Massachusetts-Boston
391 Adams Street
Oakland, CA 94610-3131
Phone: (510) 893-8382 (voice/fax)
E-Mail: meisenscher@igc.apc.org
Let me give you a word on the philosophy of reform. The whole
history of the progress of human liberty shows that all
concessions yet made to her august claims have been born of
earnest struggle. Find out just what people will submit to, and
you have found the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will
be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are
resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of
tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they
oppress.
--Frederick Douglass