Fw: Awards FROM THE LEFT

Mon, 13 May 1996 08:39:56 -0600 (CST)
chris chase-dunn (chriscd@jhu.edu)

------------------------------
From: "T R. Young" <34LPF6T@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 16:10:43 -0400
To: PROGRESSIVE SOCIOLOGISTS NETWORK <psn@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject: Awards FROM THE LEFT

The Marxist Section of the American Sociology Association has two
Awards for excellence in progressive scholarship--preferably
class analysis and politics, education, health care, gender roles,
crim and social control tactics, majority/minority relations, and
the like.

The Deadline has been extended to 14 June, 1996...partly because
ASA did not get the announcements out and partly because I have
been remiss in my duties...but you redeem our irresponsibilities and
get good work before the two Committees soonest.

1. The Al Syzmanski Award is for Graduate Students who have
written a paper or finished a thesis which responds to the
quest for a praxis sociology and a praxis society.

Send nominees/papers/supportive materials to the Chair:

MARTIN MURRAY,
Sociology, SUNY
at Binghamton, N.Y.,
13901

2. The Scholarly Achievement Award. This Award goes to Faculty
and/or Research Scholars who have contributed in a given work,
over a life-time or has made some most helpful contribution to
progressive scholarship.

SEND nominees/papers/supportive materials to:

Stephanie Shanks-Meile,
Sociology, N.W. Indiana University
Gary, Indiana, 46408

These awards are open to non-members of the Section [who are most
cordially invited to join us before, after, or in spite of the Award].
They are also open to grad student and scholars in England, New
Zealand, Australia, the Americas including Canada as well as in other
parts of the world.
Prof. Chris Chase-Dunn
Department of Sociology
Johns Hopkins University