Re: Structuralism - ECLA-style and Levi-Strauss/Saussure style
by Carl Nordlund
20 July 2003 01:28 UTC

Frank,

Thank you for your reply.

>more correct would be doctrine that structure shapes, generates,
defines, determines function.

I agree partly. (If structure generates function, i.e function doesn't
affect structure, there is no dynamics in the system, thus making it
"all", i.e positional movements between core, semi-periphery and
periphery, just a deterministic unfolding of inherent structures,
something which isn't supported by the last 5000 years of history, I
think.)

>I would say that THAT is where the use came from in re ECLA/CEPAL - an
answer to the
>micro-econ analysis and policy recommendations that says structure
matters.

Ok! For me, at this point, the code-word is "micro-econ" here - thanks!

>That is, the exact opposite of the Friedman Chicaho-school! - where3
have you been?
>Ilearnee economic theory in Friedman's class, and it said nothing like
structuralism
>ecla or otherwise.

Of course it is the exact opposite - where did I say it wasn't?! But as
I didn't attend the Friedman lectures in the Chicago school (the "where
have [I] been?" should rather be "when have [I] been?"), I haven't got a
clue whether the term 'structural' could be backtracked to the modernist
thoughts of that time, perhaps in any way explicitly attached to ECLA:s
(and Keynes, for that matter) reaction to the strict neo-classicism of
the Chicago school of 1920-1950.

>I think the ECLAS did not regard ''interna'' strucrure as sepoarate
from >''external"strucrue.

Ok. I got the feeling that they somehow did, based on the facts that
they thought that the peripheral position could be changed by
national/internal action (ISI, industrial programming and fostering,
inviting foreign capital etc), that the peripheral position was just the
egg from the faulty chicken (flawed internal production structures), and
that the view on external historical structures as "the chicken" came
first with your 1967/1969 writing.

>I think yo are terribly wrong about WS when you say
>> focus on the structure of social systems instead of the internal
>> attributes of the elements constituing such systems
>thats utter non-sense.  first of all the main thesis oif WS  both
Wallewrsteins and mine >has been that there is ONE SINGLE WORLD SYStEM

Yes, I am familiar with the singularity view taken by you, Wallerstein
among others. Personally, I am more a proponent of using it in with
hyphen and in the pluralis (inspired by Chase-Dunn/Hall's "Rise and
demise") and with a more 'perceptional' definition of "world" here, as
this whole systemic approach is indeed very usable on non-global
geographical and conceptual scales as well.

>the strucfure and the ' elements'are not separate/able entitites. thee
is no abstract
>structure in/ of a void. the point is their RELATION. and how  the
structure of the
>whole system shapes the attrributes of the elements - i dunno what the
difference is
>between the elements and their attributes, strim,es me as more utter
non-sense.

I don't get this, I must admit! If we choose to define the parts
(actors/elements) of the world system (or hyphenated depending on
conceptual taste) as national-state economies, each with their specific
(internal) 'attributes' (such as gdp, unemployment rates, institutional
arrangements, production structures etc etc etc), then we also have a
set of relations between these 'elements' which, you and I believe ("the
structure of the whole system shapes the attrributes of the elements"),
affect the 'attributes' of each respective elements. But these
attributes (such as gdp, gini-coeffs etc) are surely quite different to
the elements - the elements are national states! (We might have a
difference in terminology here - I am influenced by social network
analysis and Bertalanffy system theory here. For me, I see the structure
of a system and the relations between actors in a system as the same
thing).

Of course there is no structure in a void. But analytically, there is
indeed a point in separating structure from elements - I do believe we
can draw more conclusions if we focus on the relations/structures, as
you say, instead of focusing on internal aspects, i.e looking more for
exogenous than endogenous causes for underdevelopment.

>apologies for the uncalled for personalism

No offense taken.

Yours,
Carl
-----