G.W. Bush and S. Sherman
by E. Prugovecki
11 May 2003 22:42 UTC

Title: G.W. Bush and S. Sherman
What do George W. Bush and Steven Sherman have in common?

At first sight, the question appears totally ridiculous: George W. Bush is the President of US, "The most Powerful Nation on Earth"; whereas Steven Sherman is the moderator of an insignificant online discussion network, about which the huge majority of humankind knows nothing, and cares nothing.

But they do have one thing in common, albeit at hugely different levels: they both have power, and exercise it arrogantly.

As the reproduced below Hidustan Times article at

        http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_251083,0005.htm ,

shows, this past weekend Bush declared "I won't answer questions."

This same weekend, Steven Sherman declared "the topic of 'genetic superiority' off topic,' and did not post yesterday my contribution  with the subject "Darwinism and the alleged superiority of some human groups," despite the following note that accompanied it:

"NOTE: I had written this post before Steven Sherman decided "to declare the topic of 'genetic superiority' off topic." Hence, I trust that it will be posted on WSN, especially since it is in response to a post by Steven Sherman himself. Let me also add that I find the remarks "excuse me, is this the world-systems net? is wsn moderated for subject matter?" by Jozsef Borocz incomprehensible: I have been subscribing to WSN now for more than a year, and a huge number of posts that I've seen had absolutely nothing to do with "world-systems" theory. Why object now to discussions of biological or genetic superiority, since, as illustrated below, the resulting supremacist ideologies have very much shaped world systems in the past, and are doing  that even at the present time?"

Now, George W. Bush is, in principle at least, accountable to the people of the United States.

I do not know whether Steven Sherman is accountable to the subscribers to WSN, but I will let them judge whether such high-handed behavior is justified in view of my post, which, at least for the time being (i.e,  until Steven Sherman decides to erase it) can be found in the WSN archives, at

                http://csf.colorado.edu/mail/wsn/2003/ .

On the same location you'll find Jozsef Borocz's post "Re: Darwinism and the alleged superiority of some human groups," which is so full of non-sequiturs that it is not worth responding to beyond the part where he states: "I don't have the time and the resources to engage in such [a meta-debate about a meta-debate]; I have a couple of day jobs in addition to looking at the wsn posts trying to find out when it is possible to construe a message as an offense to me--as seems to be the new norm."

I have no idea what he means by the "possib[ility] to construe a message as an offense to [him]," since I have not the slightest idea even as to who he is! As for his not having the time to engage in a so-called "meta-debate," nobody, and least of all not me, is forcing him to do undergo such on ordeal.

On the other hand, I believe that neither he nor Mr. Sherman have the right to impose their very peculiar standards on other subscribers to WSN - assuming, of course, that WSN is a democratic and not a dictatorial institution, which would make George W. Bush look like a most benevolent and fair man even while he is ignoring world public opinion.

Or, perhaps Mr. Sherman and Mr. Borocz are trying to qualify for the neo-con team which nowadays determines Mr. Bush's policies.

As for who I am, and what I believe in, you can find out on the website cited below.

Eduard Prugovecki
Professor Emeritus
University of Toronto
http://individual.utoronto.ca/prugovecki/

Bush prefers weekend of golf to diplomacy
Agence France-Presse
Santa Fe, May 11

President George W Bush refused to answer a reporter's questions on the Middle East during a weekend round of golf on Saturday.

"I won't answer questions," Bush said as he prepared to tee off with his friend Roland Betts, a New York real estate developer with a home in Santa Fe.

A reporter in the press gaggle watching Bush's golf game asked if he would invite Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmud Abbas to the White House at the same time as Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.

"I don't think you've heard me," Bush told the reporter.

"I am not answering questions. When I say I don't answer questions, it means I am not answering questions. But thank you for trying," he said, taking a swing in the general direction of the reporters.

The White House announced on Friday that Sharon would meet Bush on May 20th in Washington.
US Secretary of State Colin Powell set out Saturday on a tour of the Middle East and Europe, to promote a "roadmap" toward peace that includes plans for a Palestinian state by 2005. He is to meet Abbas, also known as Abu Mazen, on Sunday.

HindustanTimes.com