Re: Proof of US hegemony and its decline?
by Threehegemons

In a message dated 4/28/2003 9:46:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
christopher.farrands@ntu.ac.uk writes:Christopher--You raise some interesting
points, some of which I agree with.  Britain's hegemony died with the first
world war.  It could no longer control the situation even with the use of
'force in the last instance', and had to rely on the US.  As you note, the US
economy, and also US culture, was a swelling presence on the European stage and
worldwide.  I would add the Russian Revolution.  Britain's rules for social
struggle--yes to liberal, white, nationalists, no to religiously-inspired,
poor, non-white, non-liberal anti-colonial nationalists--had held up since 1848
(notwithstanding the Boer war, where they violated their own guidelines), but
now they crashed down, as a poor country (but also a European power)
consolidated a revolution in the name of science and progress, and called on
oppressed people around the world to make world revolution.  Scared the shit
out of capitalists and other elites everywhere, and Britain didn't have a clue
about what to do with it.  Nevertheless, the US did not become hegemonic at
this time, even if they exercised power in credit markets.
Woodrow Wilson talked a good hegemonic game, about self-determination (mostly
thinking of Eastern Europe, and the Ottoman Empire), but the first effort to
set up a world hegemonic institution by the US, the league of nations,
collapsed because US domestic politics didn't allow it.  It was not until this
domestic opposition--fairly racist, paranoid about 'entanglements' or
alliances, or any of the compromises necessary to work with a variety of
nations--was marginalized during World War II that US hegemony could emerge.  I
would argue that today the descendants of that mentality are now in charge of
US foreign policy.  Bush, Rumsfield, Cheney truly seem to believe as a matter
of principle that force is best, and that international friendships are not to
be taken seriously.  Is this a new phase of US hegemony, or its end?  As the
cliche goes, that 'remains to be seen.'
Steven Sherman