Re: new immanence in danger
by Threehegemons
28 February 2003 02:35 UTC

In a message dated 2/27/2003 3:06:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ibnsubhi@yahoo.com writes:

> Steve, thanks for your extremely powerful rebuttal of
> Hardt's weak argument.  The only part I did not
> understand was your last couple of sentences
> distinguishing capitalist ruling class from
> corporations.  What do you mean?

Capitalists are the individuals who control large amounts of capital (how
large? 10, 30 million, at least?  I'm not sure.  Enough that they don't think
with the same logic as members of the salariat).  Corporations are economic
enterprises.  There is a difference.  There is also a difference between
corporations and states, which are organizations that control (or claim to
control) territory.  We often hear how 20 of the 50 biggest economies in the
world are corporations (or whatever the figure is) but corporations are very
different than states.  Corporations are constantly merging, liquidating
themselves, buying each other out.  Blair will never be at the helm of any
other state in his entire life, but CEOs frequently jump from corporation to
corporation.  I would say all of these features are  because capitalists (and
most CEOs belong to the capitalist class) have sufficiently weakened other
stakeholders' (workers, communities, consumers, etc) hold on corporations that
they (the capitalists) can basically use them as their playthings.  Capitalists
don't latch themselves onto one corporation; they diversify, and look out for
their general interest nationally and globally. Warren Buffett, executive of
Berkshire Hathaway (?) may well be a more characteristic capitalist than Bill
Gates; he's barely known to protestors because he makes his money strictly
through investing, rather than overseeing some corporations image. A Brazilian
capitalist doesn't necessarilly depend on the well-being of brazillian
corporations; he can always move his investments to other places (not
entirely--some parts of the world economy are much less transparent and fluid
than others--but still).  Enron demonstrated that in some situations a
corporation can altogether implode and capitalists can still walk away with the
money.  Capitalists also have an interest, independent of the well-being of
corporations, in being able to live the lifestyle they'd like to, consuming the
resources they desire, protected from the masses etc.  The WEF is pr
obably the most direct expression of the global capitalist class, although they
invite some intellectuals, artists, activists, etc to give themselves some
prestige and perhaps to hear a variety of viewpoints.  It is something
different from both states and international organizations which are organized
through states like the UN, the WTO, and the IMF.  By the way, sentiment at the
WEF this year was strongly against the American juggernaut toward war.

Steven Sherman