Re: dialogue of civilizations?
by Boris Stremlin
03 May 2002 03:19 UTC

Why are civilizations equated with Huntington's civilizations?  Don't
Braudel, McNeill, Hodgson use the term in fruitful ways?

Isn't the term world-system (hyphenated or not) often a reified
abstraction?  Why isthe tendency to reify particular characteristics
attributed to the civilization concept alone?

Aren't the two concepts genetically related (as per Wallerstein's
explicitly stated organic metaphor in Volume I of _The Modern
World-System_?)

--
Boris Stremlin
bstremli@binghamton.edu