Re: CMP
by Michael de Socio

By no means do I want to jump into this conversation, lacking the background
to comment; I'd rather leave it to the experts. But I did have a thought:

Perhaps "capitalism" doesn't exist in the same way that the nation-state
"doesn't exist" (that is, it's a human construct, an idea that is relatively
recent and surely transitory, but taken today as a fact, a universal
condition, and inevitable - therefore, "eternal" as long as "civilization"
continues; or at the very least, the end-all-be-all of civilization, its
highest social organization).

But capitalism purely as an idea/l, as an invention, a construct, an
ideology: can't one say that it exists as long as people think it exists?
Because, even if one says that it doesn't exist, or at least it's not what
most people (capitalists esp.) think it is: They assume it exists, they act
as if it exists, they push forward agendas and their vision for the world as
though it exists (and as though it is being constantly threatened - by
communism, by "terrorism," and all manner of "evil menaces")...

I'll leave that idea hanging there. Sorry if I contributed absolutely
nothing to the discussion :-)

Honestly, I'm not sure what one means by saying capitalism "doesn't exist";
maybe because, perhaps like Christianity and the idea of a spiritual
explanation for existence in the Middle Ages, the idea of capitalism
permeates so much of how we perceive reality that it's impossible to imagine
a world w/o it (w/ its modes of production, its ideologies, its historical
development, - as it's understood today) ... Any way these are new ideas for
me, forgive me the intrusion.

michael de socio