Re: the Communist Manifesto: Abstract of a world historical critique
by Elson Boles

> Actually, the most important issues in this discussion are the extent to
> which particular units of analysis are reified, and the  extent to which
> holist analyses fail to reassemble world-historical reality after they
> finish breaking it down into little disconnected pieces.

[snip]

> --
> Boris Stremlin
> bstremli@binghamton.edu

But is one not also reifying "world-historical reality" by presuming that
everything is connected to everything else, and that therefore the
disconnected little pieces are reifications?  I don't think the position
that everything is connected socially-historically is tenable.  Some social
processes and developments are not connected to others, and in other cases,
the connections between people in different areas are so thin that to
assumed they are part of the same world-historical process is itself to
reify the boundaries of significant historical causality.