Re: Armchair theorizing and scholarship on wsn
by Shahijm2

I didn’t mean to start a diatribe against academic types.  I have friends I admire greatly who chose go to into teaching when they could have just as easily pursued high-paying careers in the private sector. And I have nothing but respect for Wallerstein, Arrighi and Gunder-Frank.  I own several of their books and keep buying more every chance I get. My introduction to world systems theory started with Wallerstein and I’ll always be grateful to him for that.

I don't contribute often to this list and I am trying to hold out until I’ve finished my dissertation, but, well, sometimes the temptation is too much, the fingers start moving and once that return button has been hit, it’s too late.  I’m sorry you found the discussion silly and believe me I don’t claim any “expertise” in dealing with other cultures.  On the contrary, I feel quite the beginner because I’m always discovering something new.  I only meant to suggest a variety of learning experiences is better than sticking to just one.  No one ever became a great cook by reading only cookbooks.
Some of my most creative learning experiences have taken place insituations that no class ever could have prepared me for – and nowhere is this more true than in dealing with people from other cultures, who have a tendency to be completely oblivious to what’s been written about them in textbooks, coupled with the audacity to behave contrary to it.  Added to that, they sometimes have the embarrassing habit of openly and unabashedly worshiping the very things denounced by the World Left – conspicuous wealth, prestige and naked power.

I can’t help finding it ironic that some of the people who are passionately defended by regulars on this list are the same ones whose views would elicit screams of outrage, where they to actually air them, on this list.