< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

FYI: Quebec 2001: Consulta - January 27-28

by SOncu

23 December 2000 18:27 UTC

Subj:    (ftaa-l) Quebec 2001: Consulta - January 27-28
Date:   00-12-23 05:11:18 EST
From:   clac@tao.ca (la C.L.A.C.)
Sender: worker-ftaa-l@lists.tao.ca
To: ftaa-l@lists.tao.ca

[please post and forward]

Resist the Summit of the Americas and the FTAA --

a CONSULTA on anti-capitalist actions
against the Summit of the Americas in
Quebec City (April 2001) and beyond ...

WHEN:
January 27-28, 2001

WHERE:
Quebec City

WHO:
YOU! ... organizers and representatives of groups and collectives opposing
the FTAA, the Summit of the Americas and capitalist globalization -- from
Quebec, Ontario, the Maritimes, Canada, the Northeastern USA and elsewhere

HOSTS:
The Summit of the Americas Welcoming Committee/Le Comité d'Accueil du
Sommet des Amériques (CASA) -- Quebec City
AND
The Anti-Capitalist Convergence/La Convergence des luttes
anti-capitalistes (CLAC) -- Montreal

FOR MORE INFO OR TO GET IN TOUCH:
casa_clac_consulta@hotmail.com

Next April 20-22, 2001, Quebec City has the dubious honor of hosting the
Summit of the Americas, which brings together the 34 heads of state of
North, South and Central America, as well as the Caribbean (except Cuba).
In the context of the largest police and security operation in Canadian
history, the Summit aims to talk about security and terrorism, and utter
empty rhetoric about democracy and human rights. One major goal of the
Summit is to put the final touches on the Free Trade Area of the Americas
(FTAA) agreement.

In anticipation of the mobilizations against April's Summit, two
anti-capitalist, anti-authoritarian groups based in Quebec City and
Montreal are proposing a face-to-face consulta (consultation). The
consulta will take place in Quebec City on January 27 and 28, and we are
inviting groups and individuals who are in basic agreement with the
principles of the Summit of the Americas Welcoming Committee (CASA) and
the Anti-Capitalist Convergence (CLAC) (attached below).

There are several components to the consulta:

· sharing basic information about the FTAA, the Summit of the Americas as
well as the local situation in Quebec City;

· providing an "activist tour" of Quebec City for out-of-towners;

· discussing and debating action strategies (in Quebec City and elsewhere)
against the Summit of the Americas next April 20-22;

· coordinating strategies;

· discussing how to strengthen anti-capitalist, anti-authoritarian
networks of resistance;

· getting to know each other and sharing our experiences of resistance and
revolt.

For the hosts -- CASA and CLAC -- the consulta allows us to better prepare
for the major mobilizations next April, as well as to help lay the
groundwork for ongoing anti-capitalist actions beyond April.

For attendees, we hope to provide you with solid information that will be
useful to your own local mobilizing efforts (whether you plan on coming to
Quebec City or not), as well as to get acquainted with Quebec-based
organizers and activists. The consulta is being held in late-January to
provide an almost three-month window to mobilize for Quebec City in April.

CASA and CLAC will be able to offer basic housing (with local activists)
to people coming from out-of-town. We will also endeavor to provide cheap
meals during the consulta. We ask that you pay your own way to get to
Quebec City, and donate what you can towards expenses while here.

CASA and CLAC are trying to ensure broad participation of anti-capitalist,
anti-authoritarian organizers, especially from marginalized communities.
We will try to subsidize such participants as much as our budget will
permit.  We ask for your help in ensuring a representative turnout, either
by sharing rides, or with donations if you can spare the cash. Also,
please share info about the consulta with other radical, anti-capitalist
networks that might not otherwise see this e-mail.

The entire consulta will be accessible to both English and French
speakers.  There will also be Spanish translation on request, and
childcare if needed.

If you are planning on attending the consulta, or to get more information,
please e-mail casa_clac_consulta@hotmail.com. Please specify how many
people are coming from your area,