< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

THE DESTRUCTION OF TROPICAL FORESTS

by Paul Riesz

03 June 2000 16:45 UTC

Dear Mr. Drouet:
Though I do not have answers for the general problems of corporation
dominance, I have some ideas on how to manage tropical forests for the long
term benefit of ALL parties concerned: the forest owners, the resident
people and the lumber companies, while also protecting the environment.
For unclear reasons, most people seem to ignore the wonderful - almost
miraculous - capacity of WELL MANAGED FORESTS TO TAKE CARE OF THE
PROTECTION OF THE ENVIRONMENT, WHILE ALSO PRODUCING ECONOMIC BENEFITS.
This means that forests belong to the very small group of systems that are
not governed by the ZERO SUM PRINCIPLE, which determines that any advantage
given to one side must be compensated by taking away an equal value from
the other side.

Coming back to the practical problem, what should be done is to condition
concessions on areas of tropical forests, including grants for small
settlers, on a system of managing their holdings called
TIMBERSTAND IMPROVEMENT:
What one wants to achieve with this system is to allow the harvesting of
all healthy, mature trees of different species and ages for lumber or
veneer, and all diseased, deformed or to closely spaced trees for chips or
firewood.
All the healthy and regularly shaped trees of different species, that have
not yet reached maturity should be preserved for later, periodic harvests.
A number of less desirable trees must often be preserved also, since there
are rarely enough good ones at the right distances for mutual protection
against damage by wind or snow. One must also prevent sunlight from
reaching the lower part of the boles, since it would cause the formation of
new, secondary branches, thus lowering the quality of logs to be harvested.
With this system lumber companies can produce a high % of export grade
lumber or veneer, while there is also plenty of material for pulp.
Small settlers should be instructed in selecting trees to be harvested and
in how to divide logs lengthwise for easy logging with oxen or for "in
situ" sawing with the very small, portable bandsaw mills now available.
Thus they could make a much better living, than through clearing their land
for subsistence farming
As to the environment, enough trees of a great variety of species + shrubs
and other plants always remain on the land to protect it against erosion,
absorb carbon dioxide and maintain a satisfactory biodiversity.
CLEAR-CUTTING SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED.

Please let me know about any doubtful or unclear points; I should be
delighted to give you more details.
Best  regards           Paul Riesz.

P.S. This also answers a posting by Mr. Blaut