< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

From Sociological Illiteracy to Sociological Imagination

by Thomas D. [Tom] Hall, THALL@DEPAUW.EDU

28 March 2000 13:54 UTC

PSNers & WSNers,
pardon cross post.

Below isthe URL to  an intersting article in the Chronicle of Higher
Education about "classism" and sociological analysis.

to save clutter I've only forwarded the URL and not the article, only the
opening parag as a tease.

comments anyone?
tom hall

This story from The Chronicle of Higher Education
(http://chronicle.com)

  From the issue dated March 31, 2000

  From Sociological Illiteracy to Sociological Imagination

  By JUDITH SHAPIRO

      At one point in the mid-1980's, when I was teaching at
  Bryn Mawr College, I started paying attention to a common
  phrase, repeated like a mantra by students there and
  elsewhere: "Racism, sexism, and classism." I had heard the
  phrase so often that I had become quite used to it, but it
  suddenly struck me as odd.

  Judith Shapiro, a cultural anthropologist, is president of
  Barnard College.